MobileMe vs. Google services

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by dasikes, May 7, 2009.

1. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Hello! I am approaching my second year as a .Mac/MobileMe subscriber. I am really happy with the service, but I just recently stumbled upon the wonders of Google's services.

Are there any reasons y'all can give me to justify continuing to spend $100/yr for MobileMe when Google offers several similar services? Keep in mind, I use every feature MobileMe has to offer.

Thanks!

Oh, and what I hope to do is keep calenders in sync between three Macs, a netbook running Eeebuntu, an iPod Touch, and a Sony Ericsson phone.

MobileMe does a better job doing calender with the Touch, but Google does a better job with the SE phone.

2. ipaqowner macrumors member

"MobileMe alternative" 2 threads down from here.

3. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Honestly i used to be a .Mac and then MobileMe user. Now i'm really happy with Google Apps + sync software (Google Mobile Sync and Calaboration) and Dropbox

4. britboyj macrumors 6502a

Photo galleries and simply the EASE OF INTEGRATION with MobileMe. I don't have to worry about it, especially for those on my family plan.

5. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Google is free and syncs contacts and calenders between my company Exchange Server and my company Windows laptop, my Mac Pro at home and my BlackBerry. MobileMe doesn't. It was a no-brainer for me.

6. smilinmonki666 macrumors regular

I enjoy google & would like am going to trial MobileMe as I do like Apple products for their intergration, but I do admit I really do enjoy Google...

7. johnbols macrumors newbie

Google, thats it......

People find you much faster and you have more options.

I also have @.me.com and that reject sometimes a JPG file when I send it. I doubt if I stay with mobileme,

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I switched from Mobile Me to Google services not too long ago. MobileMe webmail is still the most obnoxiously slow thing I have ever had the misfortune of using; even with Safari 4 beta with all the latest magic.

The only thing I miss is Push email. But it seems like that will be added soon.

I have OTA contacts and calendars with Gmail though.

9. str1f3 macrumors 68000

For me, I find them both about the same speed. I'm quite happy with MobileMe. I just never liked the "Google" UI. It seemed too basic and deconstructed even though it's features are far more robust than MobileMe even though I never used most of them. With my iPhone a lot of apps take use of the iDisk and push mail because of some of the limitations of what the OS allows.

Other features that I like that gmail doesn't have:
    -back to my mac
    -easy access to a hard drive connected to an Airport Extreme
    -drag and drop functionality because of Sproutcore
    -easy posting of photos and videos (coming soon?)

Newer features such as "find my iPhone" are supposedly coming. It seems as if Apple is coming closer being a "personal" Exchange.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I use them both. Frankly my school isn't very Mac friendly...so Google's approach works better, but for personal stuff, MobileMe is great. Also uploadin files from a Mac is just to easy with MobileMe.

They're both great, Google Docs is just top notch

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Back to my Mac never worked right for me. A free DynDNS account + any free VNC client is a more reliable alternative.

12. axeldtf macrumors 6502

Well i am a mobile me subscriber, i will continue to so for the screen sharing and file sharing aspect. however i have never used google sync but for free it's worth keeping, especially for a back up option. I use a service called logmein. Also free, it works well if i'm at a windows computer and need to access my imac. you can share the screen as well. no file sharing unless you sign up for the pay service. I highly recommend you check that out.

Example: i was at work, all windows pcs there. I needed to download a tv show on my home imac. I didnt have my macbook with me, so i used the work computer (pc) to log into my imac and download the torrent. when i got home it was waiting for me.

I hope this help!
    Feel free to contact me if you need additional help.

Cheers!