MobileMe vs iCloud - Setup & Usage - What's going to happen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbSoluTc, Jun 9, 2011.

1. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I have been a MobileMe user for only a few months honestly. In that time I have only used iDisk for storing work documents and that's pretty much it. I do like the syncing of contacts, calendars and notes as well.

With iCloud here, MM is no more. That puts MM users in a pinch because they now have two things doing the same thing on their phones. At least that's how it was for me. My main goal with this thread is to see what other MM users think about this?

I deleted my MM account on my phone and my iCloud account as well. I was going to setup my iCloud using my MM email in order to get my mail and notes syncing but it said that my MM email has not been migrated to iCloud yet. I found that interesting.

What is everyone else doing? I have to say it's just a tad bit confusing in regards to users who had MM and are now also using iCloud. Any suggestions?

I think I am going to leave my MM account OFF my phone and just use iCloud for now. I don't see an issue.

2. taylortm macrumors member

right: MM and iCloud not playing nicely yet

I'm assuming you're a registered developer since you're suggesting you have access to iCloud via your phone. I say that because Apple provides guidance for developers as to how to handle your exact situation.

To be clear, I'm not "picking on you" (like some others on this forum) by suggesting that only developers should be running iOS 5 and, as a developer, "you should already know this answer."

I'm a developer. I have followed Apple's guidance (and common sense!) by only loading iOS 5 on "development devices" and not my personal day-to-day phone and iPad. That said, I didn't stumble across the guidance until AFTER I had loaded iOS 5 on a development-only iPod and iPad. Like you, I had trouble logging into iCloud with my MM credentials. Oddly, it finally let me log in, though, using my MM email address (not the same as my MM Apple ID). This caused some trouble, though, as some of my synced items (most noticeably Safari Bookmarks) were now "doubled up" across ALL of my devices -- including my personal (iOS 4) devices that were still syncing with MM.

Anyhow, sorry for the long digression. Assuming you're a developer and can access these pages, here is their guidance:

https://developer.apple.com/icloud/installation/

A few steps in, they link to another page that details the information you're seeking. Specifically, they tell MM users how to use iCloud services today (while MM account data has not yet migrated to iCloud).

It's not hard and, for me, I was able to "go back" and do it right -- to fix the problem after I had already "done it wrong." I was a little bit disappointed that Apple didn't make this information more prominent. I missed it. Many others in my little network of "Developer Friends" also missed it. It seems like you missed it too!

Basically, they suggest that you don't use both at the same time. They encourage you to disable MM syncing. When you do so, you're asked if you want to leave the data on your device. Say yes. Then, AFTER disabling MM syncing, you can proceed to connect to iCloud. So, now, my iOS 4 devices are just as they always were, syncing with MM. My iOS 5 (development) devices are no longer syncing with MM (except for email, if you consider that syncing) and they only sync with iCloud. On my iOS 4 devices, I did have to go back and manually delete the duplicate bookmarks -- somewhat of a pain... but not too terribly much trouble. Probably less time/effort than debugging a typical iOS app bug. :)

I hope this helps.

3. AbSoluTc thread starter macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Thanks for the info. I am a developer - although new. There is a lot of information out there and sometimes, it's not the easiest to find. I will take a look at it and read up. Appreciate it. :cool: