MobileMe vs. WordPress

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Somhairle, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Somhairle macrumors newbie

Somhairle

After reading some posts here maybe MobileMe isn't for....me! :rolleyes:

Basically I'd like to sign up for MobileMe. More so because I want the webspace to host my blog and it seems that this would make more sense as I'd also gain all the other features MobileMe has to offer for what will probably be the same price as a seperate hosting package.

Basically, I have a blog at blogger.com but I want my own personal domain (.ie). I've read that some are having trouble registering their "other than .com" domain with MobileMe but I hope this will be fixed soon.

The simple option for me is to use iWeb and post it to me.com and have it forwarded to my .ie domain. BUT I'd prefer to use WordPress. Can I use WordPress if I sign up for MobileMe? Does it work like that? :confused:

I would post over at the Apple Support Forums but some people there are really rude! You guys seem a lot more friendlier.

Hope this made sense. I don't really understand it myself.

2. ricpac macrumors member

WordPress on MobileMe. Not possible. WP requires a database. MobileMe doesn't have that.

3. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Yep no Wordpress without a MySQL database running.

You could look for a blog package that uses a file based db.

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

With a WordPress.com account you can use domain forwarding to point to it or you can set it up to use your domain (nominal fee). The WordPress.com and blog account are free but to use your domain cost extra (see premium features).

5. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

you can use own personal domain on blogger if it is the only problem you have.

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I have blogs on both systems. For pure blogging WP or Blogger is the great. I have an iWeb produced MobileMe site for more of a mult-page mixed site, but as just a blog it would not measure up.

7. leonstafford macrumors regular

Not impossible...

I'm also a WordPress fan and a devout Mac fan boy. Hence I have had my MobileMe / .Mac webspace for many years not being put to use due to a lack of server-side support.

Due to being down with a cold this weekend, I played around with a couple of things and came up with an alternative method to WordPress support on MobileMe hosting...

http://web.me.com/leon.stafford/wp/

While not for everyone, it does the job for me!

This will work for most php, ruby, perl,etc -based applications.

8. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

the first page loads in /wp, but all the links produce 404-file-not-found errors

Your links are omitting "leon.stafford."

9. leonstafford macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up! I had been testing with my private domain redirected to the MobileMe address and it somehow didn't care about the bad link code. I just fixed it now when I got home and it is working fine on both the private domain and the standard MobileMe address :D

10. freudling macrumors regular