Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harley Cat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Steve Job's regret at having launched MobileMe too soon does not come close to my anger and frustration at literally watching close to 100 e-mails (inbox) disappear before my eyes - literally. (Didn't see the messages in my sent folder disappear but they did!) It was like watching a house fire and not being able to do anything to stop it. There were some personal messages that can never be reconstructed. The capper was then being told by Apple that there was nothing that could be done to retrieve any of the messages and they could not guarantee that it would not happen again! :mad::mad::mad:!! Has anyone else had that experience?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I don't mind loosing emails I've read - but it does worry me that I might have lost a few emails that I hadn't even managed to read.

But this was a huge mess, and it appears the bumpy ride is almost over, and come this Christmas I think it'll all work as advertised (with proper Push support).

This can't happen again for the sake of Apple's image.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
what also sucks is enforcing this transition on .Mac members, sure, we get to keep our emails, but you'd think they would spare us the pain being that we have been loyal subscribers from the past and give us the option to just keep the old reliable service.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Despite what Apple says, MM is still quite buggy. Sucks that the OP lost emails but it begs the question- if things are so important to people, why are they not backed up?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Despite what Apple says, MM is still quite buggy. Sucks that the OP lost emails but it begs the question- if things are so important to people, why are they not backed up?

Emails? Well, I'm still not officially sure whether or not unread emails were lost in the process too.

Harley Cat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
MobileMeMess

Emails? Well, I'm still not officially sure whether or not unread emails were lost in the process too.

Both read and unread e-mails lost -- it looked like someone had hit delete randomly and they disappeared one-by-one as I watched! I get a lot of mail daily (work related) -- I'll back-up now daily rather than every few days). Lesson learned, I guess.

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007

I have 586MB of Archived emails on Gmail, I don't back them up because I don't expect Google to ever start to randomly purge them for no reason. And I trust Google. Simple as :)

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
what also sucks is enforcing this transition on .Mac members, sure, we get to keep our emails, but you'd think they would spare us the pain being that we have been loyal subscribers from the past and give us the option to just keep the old reliable service.

That'd be the same .mac whose lack of reliability was constantly bitched about on here, would it?

And I trust Google. Simple as :)

Good luck with that. When it comes to any data you can't afford to lose, you shouldn't trust anyone.

wiz7dome

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Mobile me SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!

Say nothing of the fact I liked my ".mac" email addy and don't appreciate having moblieme forced on me. The service isn't working worth a damn. My emails are bouncing like an NBA game, and the mobleme page doesn't even load.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Everything seems to be working ok for me except the occasional time the email goes down. My biggest complaint is the the lack of Alert settings when adding a Calendar item via the web. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of adding via the web if you have to turn right around and edit it again on the iPhone to set the alert time.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Previous .mac email address still valid

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Mobile me SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!

Say nothing of the fact I liked my ".mac" email addy and don't appreciate having moblieme forced on me. The service isn't working worth a damn. My emails are bouncing like an NBA game, and the mobleme page doesn't even load.

Funny, I went to log in this afternoon (Monday, Aug. 8, 1:00 p.m. pacific time) and the email portion of MobileMe is down.

Well, not actually "funny," but speaks to issues Apple has had with this high-profile balls-up of a rollout.

BTW, I like my ".mac" address as well, and MobileMe does NOT force you to use ".me". Just keep using your old address as usual - I do.:)

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
if things are so important to people, why are they not backed up?

To be fair, I back up everything but when it comes to email, I trust my provider to do that for me.

I can be away from my PC for weeks at a time so it's not always possible to back up emails even if I want to and I'm sure others have the same issue.

wiz7dome

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
It looks like mail is down and I just read the apple doc about keeping my .mac addy. Thanks for the heads up.

Good on :apple: for keeping those in place but MobileMe still sounds lame.

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
I can't send any mail through my macbook pro. but I can on my iPod. Argh!

Cadium

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
I have been having issues with MobileMe Mail not working correctly (or at all) for the past week, and spent a good portion of the day resetting various things, trashing preferences, trashing SyncServices as directed by MobileMe Chat support, and none of it made a difference, I still couldn't access Mail from my Mac or from my iPhone.

The chat representative accused me of not following their instructions correctly and that it was an issue with my settings, at which point I had them cancel my subscription to MobileMe and issue a refund (I didn't want to, but I can't justify paying $109 CDN for a service that doesn't work correctly).

Apple needs to get things in order with MobileMe, it is not a service that has come anywhere near the standards that the company have set previously (even with .Mac). Fix the e-mail server cluster first so it doesn't die every other day (what is the use of having a "push" e-mail service if you can't even get your e-mail), then improve the synchronization for contacts, calendars, and bookmarks... once things stabilize within the next year I may resubscribe but at this time I just don't think it's ready for prime time.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Always a good idea if just personal mail, to have a copy of Thunderbird making a copy from the server, just as a backup, which can easily export out in case of failure. I feel the pain for the OP, as I lost all 200-300 odd contacts i'd added in manually, through hassle with MobileMe. Now looking at doing the same again, as the cloud is corrupt for me :S
Backup early, often. I'm sure looking happy to get to an Apple system and getting a Time Capsule running this so I get my mail, contacts and important files backed up...

Have emailed Jobs about MobileMe, see if I get a reply - pointed out that they haven't even updated the status, when David G said he would 2 weeks ago...

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I fully understand the pains of those who've suffered!

But I believe its time to give the whole thing a break!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.