MobileRSS (Google Reader app) free for today only

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by nutmac, Sep 11, 2009.

1. nutmac macrumors 68040

My RSS reader of choice was NetNewsWire (largely because it's free and I use their desktop app). It is supposed to be updated for Google Reader any day now.

Then someone told me MobileRSS ($2.99) is free for today only. I've used MobileRSS for only few hours, but it seems to be superior to NetNewsWire. It fully replicates Google Reader web interface, but much faster. It has few interesting features like Instapaper, although it is missing few key features like ability to subscribe/unsubscribe feed, removing/hiding read messages, and landscape mode.

2. MirroRobin macrumors member

Thanks for pointing this out, was looking for a good free RSS app to compare with NewsStand :)

3. icedmocha macrumors regular

Great ratings. Whats wrong with google reader?

4. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

5. BD1 macrumors 6502

First impressions.....very positive. So far I like it better than Newsstand and Byline.

If you like the safari google reader then you will really like this....Basically models this user interface but gives you larger fonts and more iphone UI feel.

Will need to use it more to make a final decision if it knocks out Newsstand as my preferred RSS

6. nutmac thread starter macrumors 68040

There's nothing wrong Google Reader. I think it's one of the best mobile webapps out there.

Mobile RSS essentially recreates the same UI (while looking a bit like Apple's Mail app) and adds features such as Instapaper and offline mode ("Download All Items").

I found few problems/limitations, such as inability to subscribe/unsubscribe feed (feature promised on the upcoming version), wrong unread count, and lack of landscape mode.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I just installed MobileRSS and it is my new favorite RSS app.

8. humblepie macrumors newbie

9. Hodum macrumors newbie

same here, missed it by a day. So would it be worth it at 2.99, for those who've installed it?

10. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

I'd wait for the update and see what the reviews say...and then purchase if worthy.

Edit: I got it while it was free and trust me, it is worth it; syncs with Google Reader. Nuff said

11. humblepie macrumors newbie

just as a survey, do you guys all use these things with google reader? :)

12. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I won't buy an RSS app that doesn't have Google Reader ;)

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

After seeing this thread (a day late), I paid the 2.99 and really like the app. Money well spent.

14. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Damn. I saw this today only. I m currently using byline and though I`m pretty much happy with its performance, I`m sure it could be better. Is this any better in comparison?

15. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I saw the post in time and downloaded MobileRSS while it was free. Glad I did, now looking back I would have still been happy paying for it. I just needed the "Free" to push me over and give it a try.

16. ethical macrumors 68000

Darn it.... saw this thread on the Forum Spy and got really excited! Then realised it is a few days old :p I currently use Web Feeds, which I really like... but now I've started using Google Reader on my Mac having something to sync with it would be mighty useful.... think I might give it a go! although I'm not a huge fan of the icon!

17. alent1234 macrumors 603

i rarely use Google Reader, but have over 1000 feeds in there. tried this app and it crashes every time it tries to sync. haven't been able to use it once