MobileTerminal

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Annerz, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Annerz macrumors regular

I installed MobileTerminal from Cydia but everytime I go to open, it crashes. Is there any other way to change the root password?

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Wow I was just doing the same thing!

I couldn't get Mobile Terminal to work, so I had to ssh in using terminal on my Mac.

3. Annerz thread starter macrumors regular

I tried terminal on my Mac but i got connection fail. :(

4. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Ok here's what I did. Both Mac & iPhone need to be on the same wifi network. Get the iPhone ip address from the wifi settings page. Open terminal on the Mac and type ssh root@xxx.xxx.x.xx (using the iPhones ip address), enter alpine for the password, then type passwd, and enter in a new password twice.

5. Annerz thread starter macrumors regular

When I try to ssh through my Mac. This is what I get.
    ssh: connect to host port 22: Connection refused

I'm using the IP Adress on the phone I jailbroke which is my old 3gs that is no longer in use. My iPhone 4 is a different IP...would this have anything to do with why it's not working?

6. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Probably, you need the ip address of the phone you are trying to work on. So if you are wanting to change the ssh password on the iPhone 4, you'll need the ip address for the iPhone 4.

7. Annerz thread starter macrumors regular

I have the IP's for both. I want to change it for the 3gs, and that's the IP that I've been using in terminal but everytime I try, it fails. hm :/

8. Blinded macrumors 6502

I had the same issue with MobileTerminal crashing when I downloaded the version from Cydia. An easy way to get MobileTerminal on your phone is to go here...http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/downloads/list, download the version you need, SSH it into root/Applications and reboot. I haven't run into any issues with MobileTerminal since.

9. Annerz thread starter macrumors regular

10. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Silly question, did you install Openssh on this phone?

11. Annerz thread starter macrumors regular

I went into cydia and tried to install but it didn't work..

12. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

You can get the new Mobile Terminal (the one that works) from XSellize's repo-
    http://cydia.xsellize.com

Try using Cyberduck (free) if you are on a Mac. Google or Versiontracker.

Just open SBSettings and see what your WiFi address is (write it down). If you have already installed Open SSH on your phone, and have used Terminal on your Mac to open a connection (instructions on the first page of Cydia, scroll to the bottom), go to Settings on your phone and disable AutoLock. Make sure WiFi is enabled. Go to your Homepage (NOT your Locksreen, you can't connect when it is there) and then fire up Cyberduck. Hit the Open Connection button top left. Make sure drop down is for SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol). Enter the address you wrote down, make sure it says User Name: root and then Password: alpine. Hit connect. Port 22 is correct.

The only way this would not work is if you changed the phone's SSH password or haven't enabled your Mac with Terminal per the instructions with OpenSSH

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This is correct. The oldest version that will run under iOS 4.2.1 is MT 4.72

There are two newer versions where this poster stated, they both run fine under 4.2.1 also.

14. Annerz thread starter macrumors regular