Mobility vs Desktop Catalyst

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sambo110, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I download the desktop catalyst drivers for my iMac's 2400 HD mobility, is there anything wrong with doing this? I have used them for months and never had a problem, but just thought about asking now. Thanks.

2. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Are you using Mobility Modder? If so then you should be fine. If not then chances are that the Catalyst Control Center on your machine is updating fine but the drivers aren't, check out the driver version you're actually running.

3. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

I've never heard of Mobility Modder before. How can I check the driver version? So should I just download the mobility drivers?

4. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Until next months release of the Catalyst 10.3 drivers, ATI don't support mobility cards, they leave that up to the laptop manufacturers so you can't just download them. Mobility Modder and instructions can be found here. You may need to manually install the modded drivers through Control Pannels --> System --> Hardware --> Hardware Profiles. You can check the version of the ATI drivers you are running in the Catalyst Control Center --> Graphics Software --> Catalyst Version (the latest is 10.2).

5. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

I can't find the CCC though, I looked around but it just doesn't seem to be there. Oh well, my performance is good enough I think, love how you don't need to download drivers on a Mac though.

6. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Wait till the March 10.3 catalyst release, download them from ATI's site and they should install on your mobility card fine.

7. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok then, thanks. Hopefully it improves performance a bit. Do you know around what time in March? Or have they just said March.

8. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

Usually it's pretty early in the month, just keep an eye on ATI's driver pages.