Mobistar sells it unlocked in Belgium.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Van Wildonher, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Don't know if this was posted, but search didn't come up with anything.

Mobistar will sell the 8 gigabyte (GB) iPhone for 525 euros ($823.6), including sales tax, and the 16 GB model for 615 euros.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSL0859270920080708

There ya go people that are willing to pay a higher price for a unlocked phone.

2. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

3. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

I am off to Paris a week Saturday...i would like to find out aswell!!

:D

4. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I dont know how were meant to know, I looked on the mobistar website, and I cant find anything about it being unlocked. I was just about to buy a 1st gen iPhone.

5. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Orange is selling the iPhone in France. And by French law they are required to offer it also unlocked.

6. vtmikevt macrumors regular

I'm in Belgium now and everyone says it's illegal to pair a contract with a product. Flying back to the states Friday morning so I won't be able to get to the store until about 1pm. But the price here is ridiculous (~$900 for a 16GB)!!

I wouldn't mind unlocking it even with the AT&T contract. I have a Blackberry for work overseas and would rather have my iPhone and the company fronting the bill.

7. kamiboy macrumors 6502

Below mobistar's iPhone page it says in fine print that the iPhone will ONLY work with a belgian simcard. Those sneaky bastards at Apple figured out a way to circumvent belgian anti simlocking laws so importers won't be able to take advantage of them.

Seriously, the lengths that they go to prevent people to just buy an iPhone without signing their soul away into an expensive contract is almost admirable. I was willing to pay more, a lot more to just have a legitimately unlocked iPhone that could upgrade to the newest firmware on the day of the release with no worries, but Apple is forcing my hands to just get one through ebay and forcibly unlock it through hacks.