MoblieMe 'large document' push

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AustinD, Jun 18, 2008.

1. AustinD macrumors regular

After watching the demo video of mobile me it says you can share large files with your iphone, along with photos calendars etc.

My question is what kind of 'large files' (idisk stuff?) could you share and open with the iphone besides pdfs?

I often sent class notes to my ATT Tilt to study in class. But if the 'large files' are what im thinking of (text, numbers docs, movies i guess, and what have you) how will i be able to open these in the iphone?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd guess that when you view your iDisk from the iPhone, you'll use Mobile Safari and your documents will be links. I'd guess you simply touch the document and it opens. Is that what you mean?

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

You can view Word, PPT, and Excel documents, just not edit them.

4. AustinD thread starter macrumors regular

ahh thank you, thats what i was wondering.

think there will be any 3rd party editing apps available?

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'd guess so, the problem is with the lack of an accessible file system how it'd get saved. I'd guess it'd end up sort of the way it is with the Pictures app. Currently, at least one company is working on an Excel editing app. There was news about it on here a few days ago.

6. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

They did enable the ability to save images from emails and the web in 2.0, maybe they also opened it for documents to companies like DataViz.

Worth hoping for I guess.

7. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Well, they're undoubtedly going to allow you to save your progress in a game, so I'm assuming it can't be TOO hard for editor apps to allow you to save your files.

You might not be able to sync them very easily, but you should be able to email them as attachments.

8. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Another option, if they don't open iPhone up to a file system, would giving the ability to save directly to iDisk (via wi-fi/3G). Just like on my Mac, I open iDisk via finder (which actually just reads the web content) and edit, save, etc. This may drive more people to MobileMe and I think would be pretty cool. I sure would use it as I plan to keep my .Mac (Me) service.