Mobo Replacement 2.66ghz MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reelknead1, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

Just thought you guys would be interesting in seeing some picture from work today.

This macbook pro was brought in a week or so ago. Acting extremely sluggish, my first thought was bad drive. So I replaced it with the exact drive that apple uses all the way down to the same model number. That doesn't solve the issue so I send it out to apple for repair. They decide to be apple and reject it due to the hard drive not being OEM.

So I decided to just order the Mobo and put it in myself. This is the first time doing Mobo work on a 15" unibody and man is it impressive how they fit everything together. Much nicer design then the aluminum MBPs and also took about half the time as the old one.

Here are some pictures of todays work. The thing runs like a champ now. No idea what caused the failure of the board. No sensors tripped or burn marks. The important part is its back in the clients hands and back to doing what it does best, checking emails lol :rolleyes:

Battery Removed: The screw driver in the top right hand corner is $25 bucks through apple!!
    [​IMG]
    Mobo removed from computer
    [​IMG]
    Underside of the mobo with heat sink attached. Notice the size, thats college ruled by the way.
    [​IMG]
    Underside of the mobo with heat sink off.
    [​IMG]
    Heat sink, Very nice design. Much nicer the the older style MBPs
    [​IMG]
    O and don't worry I'm wearing a static guard wrist band the entire time.
    All pictures taken with the iPhone 4.

2. The General macrumors 601

3. Reelknead1 thread starter macrumors 6502

The 2010 use the tri-wing screws, 2009 have a 5 star security torx. That and I have certain money that can only be spent at apple so i purchased it from them.

4. kuctonkucton201 macrumors member

That might be good stuff.

5. The General macrumors 601

security torx is even cheaper than tri-wing. if i had "certain money that i can only spend at apple" i'd be buying real stuff.

6. Reelknead1 thread starter macrumors 6502

When i conduct a repair on a warranty item through apple. I am paid in "Apple Money" lol. This money goes on account and can be used to purchase things through Apples GSX. I have money in that account, so I buy apple approved tools.

But yes you are correct that is a rediculous amount of money for a screw driver. My boss bought a 50 dollar foam block the other month for laptop repairs. Some places sell it for as much as 100 bucks. What a rip off.

[​IMG]

7. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Why would you jump right to replacing a hard drive for a slow machine? If your shop doesn't have a Netboot you really need to set one up for trouble shooting. Boot the machine from it, or something else and use utilities to check components. Get SMART Utility. It's worth it. By the way, I never use the foam triangle. I send things into both depots in the US with non-Apple labeled drives all the time without issues.

8. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Looks like one very expensive, ver uncomfortable pillow haha

Shouldn't you be studying?

9. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Told you apple be tripping ove HDD and memory upgrades. Anything to screw you on your warranty.

10. CW Jones macrumors 6502

mhm, tell you one thing, and then do another, All the more reason to not get OWC RAM and sell your OEM back to them..... I kept my RAM and plan on keeping my HDD when I upgrade, just so I can return it to stock.

11. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

I did the same thing.

12. O and A macrumors regular

SMART is pretty useless.

How much did that mobo cost?

13. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I thought so

EDIT:
    http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_Pro_15inch_Mid2010.pdf

if a 15" 2010

14. Reelknead1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I work at a Apple Service center and it was covered under warranty, so it didn't cost me any money. If i wanted to purchase one through Apple's GSX its around $1,000 for a 2.66 core2duo.