[Mockups] iPhone Remote: Desktop Version

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ratboy, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Ratboy macrumors member

So I got to thinking, since most computers now a days have bluetooth, wouldn't it be convent to be able to control one's iPhone from the desktop. This wouldn't be tethering, because the phone wouldn't be providing any cellular services to one's desktop.

However, if a call came in, a translucent bezel would appear on one's screen allowing one to answer the call and even take it using the the computer's built in speakers and microphone. All the other functionality would still be available. It'd be just like running one's iPhone by remote control.

[​IMG]

There could also be a background iPhone Remote application that allows one to make and receive calls and SMS messages using the mouse and keyboard. Think how much easier it would be to type SMS messages using a real keyboard.

[​IMG]

One could also make and receive calls and even check messages with the option to uses the built in speakers and microphone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To make the integration even tighter, a phone and SMS icon would be added next to contacts' names in the Address Book so one could start a call or send a text with one click. The icons would link directly to the iPhone Remote running in the background.

[​IMG]

ANd finally, a phone and SMS icon will be added to the menu bar for quick access to the background iPhone Remote application. In addition, they would change color to indicate either a call or SMS has been missed with an indicator number to show how exactly many of each.

[​IMG]

This has also gotten me thinking about how to encourage the development of such an application. If there is enough interest, maybe we could launch an inducement prize on BigCarrot.com. Perhaps people who contribute $10 receive a free copy of the winning submission, and contributor over $25 get a five-computer family pack.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

2. MacBoy08 macrumors newbie

Simply Amazed.

WOW!.... i can simply say i am amazed. this is just a mock up, but already you have some of the most solid solutions for the COMPLETE integration between iphone/ iphone 3g and leopard.

this would obviously be a mac only feature but this needs to be an app, not something apple develops for snow leopard.

i say any developer who turns this much potential for a HUGE app...is an idiot...

GREAT IDEA, GREAT POTENTIAL >>>> A+ idea.

lets see it happen.

3. chappy87 macrumors regular

This indeed does look like a fantastic idea for an app, and the mockups are fantastic. Not sure how much of the information displayed on the OP's screens would be accessible through the currently hobbled bluetooth, but nothing there that a software update couldn't fix.

Hopefully no-one else will quote the original post, getting to what the first reply was was a bit of a mission...:rolleyes:

4. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Hi

check out Bluephone elite

it does what you're asking to do

but apple does not allow SDK for bluetooth or something - so the iPhone is not supported

check out the forum for more info from one of the developers about why it can't be implemented beyond just calling on the iPhone