Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Clayton Whoever is obviously deciding which CEO job to take. Whatever the products that company makes, he would have to decide which one the stupid customers should be allowed to buy, which would mean he will have to know all about everything.

Maybe you should read before you spout nonsense. The book chronicles how time after time the hard drive industry was listening to customers and it caused the leading companies to fail. The company that was making 8" platters was being told by its customers to make bigger drives. So when someone suggested 5 1/4" in drives the customers didn't want them because they didn't have the capacity of the 8" platters. So that company blew them off.

How many manufacturers of 8" disk drives are there today? And since the company making the 8" platters didn't work on 5 1/4" platters, when smaller became popular, that company went out of business and a new company (who was pursuing the future of technology, not the present) took their place.

You completely don't understand the idea that the great companies are the ones who can figure out where the future is headed. And trust me, customers don't know that.

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
I hope Apple makes a larger iPhone as an option for the fact that I know many people that have an iPhone but have large hands that fat finger the phone when any typing is involved causing it to be not a very good experience.

More options never hurt anyone. I personally would prefer the smaller model (size of the current 5 is likely that largest I would want), but introducing a bigger model would be great for people that want to stay on iOS and be able to type easily.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I would invite all the posters who think Apple should be listening to their opinions to read Clayton Christensen's "The Innovator's Dilemma." He points out how when companies are at their apex, they create their own demise by listening to their customers. When you listen to your customers you spend your time giving them what they say they want. But as Steve said "People don't know what they want until you give it to them."

I hope Apple is deaf to all the advice-giving of people. Because if that's what they turn into, a new company is going to come along with a disruptive technology and kick Apple to the curb. And they'll have their well meaning customers to thank for killing them.

That was really well put.

I've always gotten a kick out of the crowd who thinks their ranting, begging, demanding and threats of financial demise have even the slightest influence over a multi billion dollar company's development choices. XD

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
iPad mini?

Read thread?

You don't understand.

I understand every factor involved, including software challenges.

You make some good points. My conclusion remains the same however. We'll have agree to disagree here.

In the end the number of people demanding a device with bigger screen is no doubt significant. We agree on that.

But the number of those that will also demand that pixels be a certain size - larger than the current ones - and that the resolution not exceed a certain upper bound is, in my opinion, minuscule. You may disagree, and that is fine. No need to debate the point.

I mean, honestly, how does, "I don't like it, so no one else should be allowed to have it!" make a lick of sense?

Come again?

I am eager for a larger display just like you. You can have all pixels you want on it? Can you accept that Apple will take your number and add a bunch more to it for folks like me (and the masses)? If you don't want to use all the pixels, that's absolutely fine by me. Perhaps apple will provide a facility to run non native res like you can on a Retina Macbook. Then we're all happy.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Glasses will only magnify the image. Holding the phone slightly closer does the same.

You do realize you are debating a difference is pixel size of just over 10% in the example I cited, right? You are kidding yourself if you think the intention here was for better user experience by those with eyesite issues. The reason for the bigger screen is simple - it starts with an M and ends with arketing. It's a gimmick.

Well, as others said, the reason for the bigger screens emergence really starts with Battery and ends with Life.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
THIS mockup would be innovative and welcomed:

p588953169-4.jpg

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
The statement here is that Apple has come to follow the market and not create it.

Well Apple has followed the market in the past especially with their computers i.e. RGB --> VGA, SCSI --> IDE, NuBUS -->PCI. They have also led the way such as the wide use of USB (although they did follow when adopting USB2), the iPod, and created markets like the App store, tablets, etc. If it wasn't for the iPhone you wouldn't have Android the way it is now (I've seen the early versions of Android and it was nothing like it is today), nor would Samsung, HTC, LG, be making phones looking like they are. Before the iPhones, most phones were imitating the Blackberry. Remember all those physical keyboards? Following the market isn't a bad thing IF you add something to it that IS different. The iPod was just another mp3 player, but what made it shine was it's ease of use with the scroll wheel, the big display, the capacity and it's integration with iTUnes.

Apple should put out a larger screen iPhone, maybe 5" max. There is another manufacturer that is debuting there 6" Android phone. The phablets out there look ridiculous when someone has it on their ear making a call. I remember when SMALL was all the rage. All the manufacturers were trying to make the smallest, thinest cell phone. Now we're heading the other way. I'd like to see OSX on a phone or especially a tablet. That would be killer.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I hope Apple makes a larger iPhone as an option for the fact that I know many people that have an iPhone but have large hands that fat finger the phone when any typing is involved causing it to be not a very good experience.

More options never hurt anyone. I personally would prefer the smaller model (size of the current 5 is likely that largest I would want), but introducing a bigger model would be great for people that want to stay on iOS and be able to type easily.

More options did hurt Apple. Ask John Skully or Gil Amelio. They nearly bankrupted Apple by having dozens upon dozens of different models that confused customers. The first thing that Steve did when he came back was to cut down to just a few products. There are many reasons why fewer SKUs make sense. They don't compete with each other (causing confusion, e.g. should I get a big iPhone or the iPad mini) and there are huge economies of scale when you keep the products limited. I am already concerned that the number of SKUs are getting out of hand at Apple, at least in iPhones and iPads.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
I think that Apple needs to realize that it doesn't always know what is best for every consumer. Everyone is a little bit different. Samsung realizes it and they are doing really well. I personally love my Galaxy Note 2...the only thing it is missing is iOS. If Apple could make an iPhone on par with the Galaxy Note 2 then they would earn back my business.

On the flip side there are people that like smaller phones. That is why they should keep the 4" form factor. They should also investigate keyboards as some people prefer those (especially older adults). Blackberry Limited has that concept.

Apple's mobile OS is the best in the business but they need to offer more choice in hardware. I want to buy another iPhone but I don't want to go back to a smaller screen.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Or they could just go 1280x720 on a 4.5" display. Shrinking the bezel slightly it won't have to be significantly larger than the iPhone 5, may still be one-handed usable for many people, keeps the same 326 dpi so UI guidelines are unchanged and existing Retina iPhone wafers can continue to be used just cut larger and gives them the "HD" moniker while also providing more usable screen space which simply keeping the same resolution and scaling up doesn't do.
You don't understand. ios does not support resolutions willy nilly like Android. If Apple changes the resolution again you break apps and you will have black bars or some crazy zooming that will make the apps look crappy. This approach makes sense because all iphone 5 apps will fill the screen at the expense of dpi. I highly doubt we will see a new iphone resolution released this year unless Apple totally redesigns ios.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
As long as Apple continues making a sensibly sized iPhone -i.e. not one that requires you to buy baggy pants or a man-purse to carry- they can release a 10" model for all I care.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
not with the current aspect ratio of the iPhone. u barely have any benefit on websites with a 16:9 screen

why is apple so stuck on pleasing the devs anyway? isnt that their job ... to program duh?

if no one would innovate just to please the devs we'd still be playing snake 1 on a black and white screen ;)

It is because they're pleasing them that they have so many (devs).

Wanna program for android? You have to make sure it works on different phone models, different resolutions etc.
Wanna program for iOS? You just make sure it works on the iPhone and on the iPad (or 1 of those if you want). Bam, you're done.

Everybody wins, customers too.
You know that you'll get an iPhone and have all the apps working on it.
You get an android phone and then see the great google play quote "This app is unavailable for your device". Sorry but imo, that really sucks.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
THIS mockup would be innovative and welcomed:

Do you think the home button will survive as a physical button or will Apple phase it out like they did with the scroll wheel? I find Blackberry's "swipe up" from any app to get back to the home screen interesting, but with a bigger screen on a phone we could use the already established multiple finger gestures in iOS that iPads enjoy. OR why doesn't Apple merely give iPhone users at least SOME of the gestures?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
It most certainly cannot "fit more stuff". Both have the same 1280x720 resolution.

Having a bad day? It sure feels like you are looking for a fight instead of a productive discussion.

I said that it was becoming a standard, and that is true. Most smart phones are 16:9 HD resolution now, and the next big thing is 1080p.

Regarding all the other devices you brought up, I was referring only to PC monitors, as I said.

A bigger screen allows you to see more content regardless of resolution. There has been laptops with 1280x800 resolution for a while. You can definitely browse the web better on that than any 4.8 inch screen.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Well, as others said, the reason for the bigger screens emergence really starts with Battery and ends with Life.

Right, since it a large screen means less battery life in every case, all the time, no matter what. Or no?

My iPhone 5 seems to hold a charge just fine as compared to my old iPhone 4 which has less than half the pixels and less processing power. How about yours?

Battery tech advances along with screen size.

I mean why no 1024x768 Macbook? Surely there are people demanding such a device since the battery would last longer (it would - I fully admit it). Is Apple denying themselves piles of money by refusing to produce something like that?

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
It is because they're pleasing them that they have so many (devs).

Wanna program for android? You have to make sure it works on different phone models, different resolutions etc.
Wanna program for iOS? You just make sure it works on the iPhone and on the iPad (or 1 of those if you want). Bam, you're done.

Everybody wins, customers too.
You know that you'll get an iPhone and have all the apps working on it.
You get an android phone and then see the great google play quote "This app is unavailable for your device". Sorry but imo, that really sucks.

This is not true. If you make an app for ioS you have to make it for 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Mini...all have different hardware and resolutions

Stack Overflow

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
You completely don't understand the idea that the great companies are the ones who can figure out where the future is headed. And trust me, customers don't know that.

And you completely fail to understand that >4" screens isn't the future, it's the present.

The "innovator's dilemma" talks about what new ways you should go in that don't yet exist, because what people say they want is not always actually what they want.

But with larger phones, people have already shown what they want. Many of them not only said they wanted larger screens, but have gone out and bought them. In fact, they have bought them in numbers rivaling Apple's own!

There's no risk here, there's no ambiguity, there's no concern that people might not actually want it. Samsung and others have been selling larger phones with great success lately.

The only potential pitfall would be that people mistakenly think they want the larger screens, and only buy it once, then revert back to smaller screens. However, if this were the case, there'd be evidence of that happening now, and there isn't. There's no shortage of people buying larger phones, then upgrading to another larger one when something newer catches their eye, and there's no shortage of people buying larger phones and waxing on and on about how happy they are with that size.

Ironically, if the "innovator's dilemma" applies at all, it applies to the people here saying they wouldn't want an iPhone Plus. After all, aren't they saying what they don't want, when many of them don't really know whether they do or not? Have they seen a larger iPhone? No. So how can they knowingly say they don't want it? Isn't that exactly the sort of problem the "innovator's dilemma" is meant to address?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.