Mod a MDD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by LeoTheLion89, Aug 17, 2012.

1. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

one thing i wanna do to my MDD just for the hell of it is add a HDD activity LED as mac lack these and always have. the question is how would i do this where would i wire the LED?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The LED goes between pin 39 of the hard drive and ground.

3. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

so would i tap into the IDE cable or wire it to the motherboard?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The cable, the hard drive itself, or the logicboard. Which ever is easier.

5. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

how come mac never had HDD activity LEDs?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because their used only on computers that have a tendency to freeze while attempting to load anything, namely older Windows boxes. Actually, some Macs do have a HDD LED. My Cube has one, it's a pretty red one on the inside near the VRM board.

7. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

ok and just for the hell of it how to i upgrade the Power LED with a nice Purple or blue one?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Take out the front panel and remove the old LED and put in a new one. You may have to unsolder the old one or clip some wires. Fairly easy to do.

9. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

how to i take out the front panel?

10. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Ask and you shall receive. There yer go. Service manual.

Attached Files:

11. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

thank you for this however seems like the MDD is a real bitch to take apart

12. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Don't complain, just do it. It is worth the effort.

13. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

based upon this service manual to install the HDD light not only will i have to pull the LB to do it (as i have to wire it to all 3 IDE connectors) but i will also have to drill a hole in the case and the MDD panel to mount the LED

14. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

You will only appreciate the fruits of your labor if you put effort into making it happen.

15. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

the one thing the manual does not say is if it is possible to remove one of the fold down doors completely off the bezel as id like to install a card reader or front USB port mod (not sure yet) but i know that either option i do the fold down door will get in my way

16. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

You should figure out the front door issue when you have it. Just fool around with it until you get it!

Anyway, I really like the idea of this. When I had my MDD I always missed the activity light. Especially when it would hang for a bit while installing something. Though I could hear the hard drive writing data, I would have loved a nice light blue LED on the front.

How do you plan on doing the card reader mod? That's an excellent idea. How do you plan on connecting it to the motherboard?

17. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

well if i can find a USB card with a USB header i will do it that way if i cant then ill get a card reader that u plug in with a normal USB port and just plug it into the internal USB port on the card.

18. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Good idea. Never thought of that. You will just mod one of the doors right? How will you do that?

19. LeoTheLion89, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012

LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i have no idea i guess ill have to wait til i get it and then dismantal it remove the MDD bazel and fugure where it the Optical bay opening exactly is in the machine and how much of the optical drive is hidden by the MDDs if i can get full access to the card reader with out the bazel on then ill just take off one of the doors if possible

20. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Only problem I see there is that the door isn't perfectly squared on the corners. I guess if you can find a standard PC 3.5" front panel, you can rewire it to standard USB and plug it in. They may even sell USB 2.0 headers to USB adapters. Not sure. You can then get a 3.5" to 5.25" adapter, and cut a hole in the door to fit the card reader. A bit of modding on the inside (so it all fits) and you should be good

21. LeoTheLion89 thread starter macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

cutting a hole in the door is a good idea just not sure what to cut it with i dont have a cutting wheel in my wimpy little travel dremel

22. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Well a little tip is to use an Xacto knife to score the paint so it wont chop. Just mark your square where the hole will be and cut through the paint. Also cover the mirror finish n masking tape (that's what I used to cut something that was painted) it should hold the finish on. Just take it slow too.

As for the wheel, you might as well invest in a few. I broke two already just cutting some wood. You can also just try to use an xacto knife, but that'll take a bit.

23. Matthew55904 macrumors newbie

I think this would be a cool mod as the thread starter mentioned. Before i made my account i have been reading these forums and oddly this one seems lacking when i first read it it has two pages of posts now it seems that half of them have vanished. Has anyone had any success trying this? I would love to see the results of such a mod.

24. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I haven't done it. I think Leo is soon. The thread is only a few days old. I would think it would take almost a month to finish this

25. jbarley, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I just noticed that the starter of this thread has been 'banned', maybe that might account for many of the missing posts.