[MOD CHANGE] Liquid damage to MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Keico, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Keico macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. This is my first post and am looking for some advice from Mac Users.

Ok a friend of mine brought this Macbook Pro to me to work on.

Here are the specs
    MacBook Pro 15.4"
    Processor: 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo (T9600)
    Model# A1286

This laptop had beer spilled on it, so the pwner was ready to just throw it away, until my friend grabbed it.

When I got it, it would not turn on, when you press the power button. I had to bypass the power button by grounding pin 5 on keyboard connector on mainboard.

It did fire up, but the keyboard would not respond. When I open text editor, the only keys working were the a and s keys.Also they would seem to repeat once you press them.

Everything else seems to work ok. Aside from time to time when it is turned on, I get a message that say the clock has been reset.

I decided to take this thing apart, specifically the keyboard and see if I could clean it.

I got all the way to the keyboard but could not get all the screws out that mount the keyboard to the unibody frame. Some of them were just rusted really bad. I know enough not to keep trying to remove these screws.

So I cleaned everything as best as I could and just reassembled the laptop. I did notice that the main board had one spot where some rust and corrosion built up on it.

When everything was assembled, the power button still did not work, and I still had to ground out pin 5 on the keyboard connector to get it to turn on.

After some research I see that although you can order a keyboard from ebay, that Mac never intended these laptops to have the keyboard replaced. That you have to change the entire upper frame, with keyboard attached.

I did find one here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macbook-Pro-A1286-2-66GHz-C2D-Palmrest-Touchpad-Backlit-Keyboard-Mid-2009-/290784399775?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

Now my concern is even though my friend paid nothing for this laptop, should they invest the money in the part to get the power button and keyboard working. (Also one more note, the touchpad will let you move the mouse, but will not let you select things.) Aldo it would take care of the touchpad problem.

Also another concern I have is because of the rust corrosion I saw on the mainboard.

If they spend the money on the part then later on have problems with the mainboard, it would be wasting money.

Is there a way to test the motherboard to see if it is worth replacing the part I listed.

Thank you all in advance for any advice you give.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just based on what you described, I don't see any other option other thna just buying the replacement parts and hoping that does the trick. If it boots and the display works, that would point toward the logic board working.

3. Keico thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the advice, but its kinda hard to tell someone "Lets just replace the parts and see what happens."

I do know that everything indicates the motherboard is working, but isn't there some program I could use to run a hard ware test.

I think I was reading something about it

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could try running AHT (Apple Hardware Test). I should have thought of this myself. :eek:

I understand your concern, but sometimes part A needs to work to see if part B works.

Also, you might look at ifixit for parts rather than eBay. They are legit.