[MOD]Is your PNY storedge too large? Trim it!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hinjeniero, Jan 31, 2014.

1. hinjeniero macrumors newbie

hinjeniero

As you know the pny storedge is just a smaller sd card. Even though for me still being too large as I don't want to see it appearing on the side.

I have access to a x-ray machine so I took images of the card to see if the silicon was filling the entire frame. As I knew, it wasn't so I had green light to trim it.

This is the result, I could trim it better but since is going to be hidden I don't really care.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could still shorten safely the card about 3mm more, more than that could be possible due to the margin of the circuit but is quite dangerous.

PD: Obviously, once the card is inside you won't be able to eject it without tweezers.

2. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

Wow, you think that's an improvement?

PNY made the card the length they did as a tradeoff between being unobtrusive and being removable. You disagree with their choice which is fine. But that mangled mess you made looks so much worse than the original card sticking out 1/8". Maybe if you put some silver tape over the hole to hide your disaster? Why not just buy the microSD holder that's built to fit flush in your MBA?

Why even start with a storeEdge card? Most SD cards today have tiny boards inside, and with your xray machine you can check without even opening the package.

[​IMG]

Then again, my solution was to buy a cMBP, put a 256 gig SSD in the HD bay and another 1 TB hard drive in the CD bay. And bump the ram to 16 gig while I was at it.