Mod My... or colorware?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by webking07, Dec 6, 2010.

1. webking07 macrumors newbie

I want my ipad customized for Christmas but I can't decide on who to choose to do it between mod my( www.mod-my.com/iPad ) or colorware(wwwcolorwarepc.com). Have any of u guys ever got something modded from either or both places to compare the 2? I'm fighting price(mod my) vs quality(colorware). I just want my iPad to look awesome. please help, thx

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I had colorware do their job on my iPhone 3G, they made it nice and red for me, and they were quick, prompt, and did a great job. I'm debating sending them my unibody MacBook(white late 09 model) and having them convert it to black! I would use colorware!

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Gelaskins is another option.

4. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

never heard of colorware and just been checking website out but... haha. the prices??? no way in hell! :D

5. webking07 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but i preferred a paint job and not a skin....

thanks guys for the responses, and I see someone else agrees with me that colorware's prices can eat ***** lol....but it's not like mod my's quality is crap, i've been through their galleries...but it's just that they're new and somebody recommended I go there...although I dont see any iPads in their galleries... :mad: ...so based on the responses i'm assuming nobody's ever been to mod my? nobody said anything about them yet

6. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I don't understand why you would pay 300- 400$ for a Paintjob for an iPad, that's almost the cost of a car's paintjob, I wish they would color the front glass so people can have their all-white iPads and iPhone 4's
    I'm into aesthics but that's too much money to spend..

7. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Hate to see your car...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. McGilli macrumors 6502

For the DIY'ers out there - you can buy an Invisible Shield and cover your ipad, and then just paint over the shield yourself. If you don't like it etc you can always just peel your paint job off and it only cost you $25.

There is a brand of paint I use for all my stuff called Plasti-Dip.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Lots of colours, and you can also buy mixing kits to create colours, clear, or swirl patterns. Comes in cans, or spray can form which goes on much easier and thinner.

Once dry it has the texture of IBM/Lenovo laptops which is durable, but that slightly grippy, rubbery feel which makes it easier to hold etc.

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

People would pay because, well, they have money and want customization....

And good luck with that $300 car paint job, sure its swell!:D

10. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

That last photo in the mod my photo gallery (red iphone) would scare me away from them. http://www.mod-my.com/Galleries/Customer/

I can see chips off the top of the iphone and if you look close at the apple logo it looks very poor, flaky and not at all professional.

Just a suggestion though, you can get some very nice clip on hard 'skins' which look awesome and add virtually no bulk. Imagine paying so much for a paint job on your ipad and the next day you put it down too rough or something and it gets a scratch.

11. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I just mean that if you have so much money to waste you'll buy an iPad 2 or whatever in 2 months anyway or whenever it coems out, so why not paint that ones so it lasts you a whole year?
    I guess you can also trash the freshly painted one and start over again with a new iPad in 10-20 weeks

12. webking07 thread starter macrumors newbie

EXACTLY! lol i hate when I go to forums to ask a question and you have those people say "well why would you wanna do that, etc."...I want to because I WANT TO!! lol...either you're gonna answer the question or leave those thoughts to yourself. geez....

ANYWHOO, back to the topic(sorry for the late reply btw), yea I looked through mod my's gallery and I was actually impressed(99% of the reason was because of colorware's $350 ipad paint job vs. mod my's $80 ipad paint job which seems VERY much more reasonable....heck $350 is almost the price of an ipad itself!)...but as for the comment regarding the red iphone they did, i agree, it did look a little shaky...i didn't like the finish on that iphone, but i'm assuming thats one of the 1st items they did(it was in the back at the end of the gallery)but i looked at their more recent items and i'm thinking about giving them the benefit of the doubt(their quality looked much better recently and i'd be saving $270 lol)...

BUTTT before I do that, I really want to know if anyone here has been to mod my??? i need some facts to go off of here...Christmas is around the corner so I would please like to know fast plz... thx

13. webking07 thread starter macrumors newbie

btw how much did their paint job cost for an iphone? after my ipad, depending on how i like the job, i may want my iphone 3g done too(nope, i dont have an iphone 4 yet :( )

14. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

A forum is a discussion site, not Yahoo Answers or something, I was just saying that paying more for a paint job than the cost of the device is odd...

Go for Coloware, they do it better, I have a friend that did his iPhone 3G at ModMy and it doesn't feel perfect, I haven't seen any Colorware devices, but they seem way more professional

15. webking07, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

webking07 thread starter macrumors newbie

an $80 paint job doesn't cost more than a $500 iPad lol(even as expensive as colorware's $400 paint job is, it's still less than a $500 ipad, although very close)...

but anywhoo, was your friend the person who owns the red iphone I saw on mod-my? (they probably did more but that's the only one I see in their galleries) because if so, could you ask him how much TOTAL(along with shipping, etc.) did it cost and how long did it take, etc.? I still haven't got it done yet, I had some other financial duties that came up that made me put off my paint job :-/

i hate to be a douche but i really want to hear from the people that went to mod-my, simply because I've seen colorware everywhere on the net so I know they have a good reputation, but their prices are ridiculous and I'm trying to see if mod-my is actually worth the $300 i'm saving..

16. possumwater macrumors regular

possumwater

I'd go with Colorware. I've seen one in person, it was sick! I can't afford it but if I had disposable income like my ex wife...I'd do it in a heartbeat!