Mod PowerBook G4 PRAM battery?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Dec 17, 2015.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

So I'm starting to use my PowerBook G4 as my go to instead of my MacBook (White early 2009) but the only factor really keeping me from using it on a day to day is the PRAM battery being dead. It makes the entire thing an inconvenience to use. I looked on ebay for a legit replacement but they all look old and used. Now in the little pouch with the battery in it, It looks like its a standard CMOS battery. Can I just (carefully) remove it doing my best to leave the contact points intact and then shoving a new battery in there? Some tape to put it back together, maybe some copper wire if I mess up the contacts. I just want it to work, don't care if it doesn't look good.

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

You can, but if yours is a DLSD, you will have to solder on a Li-Ion pack

3. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

How can I figure that out? I can tell you mine is a late 2005 15' 1.67GHz model (not the high-res version)

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Late '05s are all high-res, which corresponds with several other architectural changes including the DLSD and DDR-2 RAM. The model number on the 15" is A1138, and A1139 on the 17"

If yours uses DDR RAM, is 1.67ghz, and has a low res screen, it's an early '05.

5. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Yeah, mine is an early '05. Whoops. so that means it's not a DLSD?

6. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yeah it's not a DLSD