Mod Question, HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jacksonryan, Apr 11, 2010.

1. jacksonryan macrumors newbie

I'm a DJ and of course I'm trying to be original, so I'm looking at doing the backlight color change of the keyboard by inserting a bit of colored transparency paper (clear colored plastic) between the light and the keys. I don't want to void the warranty though.
    BUT as far as I can tell from just about everything I've read, it wouldn't technically void the warranty for these reasons:
    :apple:It doesn't damage or remove anything with a serial number on it.
    :apple:As long as installation doesn't cause damage, we're good.
    :apple:It wouldn't affect performance in any way at all.
    :apple:It's only a cosmetic change
    :apple:Yes, it does open up the case, but as long as it doesn't do damage this shouldn't be an issue.

The point is I don't want to void the warranty and I think I'd be good, but I just want some other people's input.:)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't think that's possible… at least the paper mod.

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

If you did have to make a warranty claim, they would use it against you, regardless of whether or not you did anything wrong. Apple tried to blame my screwed up iPhone on the screen protector I was using, and threatened not to replace it under warranty.

4. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

If you are worried about it why do it?

5. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Better off putting something on the lid. Laser etch or decal or something. Nobody sees your side of the laptop when djing. How about changing the colour of the apple light?

6. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

Agreed. I can't think of how that would work (well).

7. jacksonryan thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been looking at the ifixit deconstruction and the paper mod is def doable, take forever... yes, but doable. And I am doing something on the front and the apple logo color change. I just thought it would be wicked awesome. As for the whole "if i'm worried why do it" because idk, i like modding stuff, and the pictures i've seen of ppl doing it look amazing.
    Thanks guys.