.MOD video converter

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrfixit197, Nov 15, 2009.

1. mrfixit197 macrumors newbie

I currently own a JVC Everio GZ-MG130 hard disk camcorder. It records in .MOD files. I cannot view them in quicktime on my imac g3. I have tried opening them as is, and renaming them to .MPG and .MOV. I found that HandBrake will do the job, but I cannot find a PowerPC version for 10.4. 0.9.1 should work, but I cannot find the installer files. If anyone knows of any other way to convert them, tell me. I need to be able to open them in iMovie '04 to edit them.

2. Chris at JVC macrumors newbie

I work for JVC and would like to try and help.

I have a couple of possible solutions for you. They are not perfect, but they may be worth a try:

For simple playback of your .mod files, Apple offers a QuickTime MPEG2 Playback Component for $19.99 from their on-line store. Please check and make sure it is compatible with your specific computer. That should let you playback the video with Quicktime, but it will not help you get the video into your iMovie software.

For that generation of camcorder, JVC recommended a 3rd party program from Pixela called "Capty MPEG Edit EX". This program could be used for file conversion, as well as very basic editing. The most valuable function was the file conversion capability from from MPEG2 to DV format. This takes a little time, but once the video was converted, it could be imported into iMovie, and the quality was good. If you Google "Pixela Capty" you should find this software for sale.

In this generation, JVC also offered selected Everio models with a firewire connection which made importing to Apple much easier. Unfortunately, your camcorder is not one of those models.

The best solution would be if you are able to update to iMovie '08 or iMovie '09. All JVC standard definition Everio camcorders work seamlessly with either of those programs via the USB connection.

3. mrfixit197 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am afraid that the Imac will not run IMovie 08 or 09, since it is a G3. I really need to upgrade. I have other PC's, but they're not macs, so they wont run IMovie. I am trying to shell out enough for a new mac.

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I have a post on my site, that I got from here...see it, and it gives you instructions on how to get older versions of iMovie to recognize and import them...maybe it will halp you.

Brian (see my signature)

5. williamen macrumors newbie