ModBook Pro 13" to cost 3500$

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZZ Bottom, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Read on Engadget that the forth coming 13" ModBook Pro tablet is set to cost 3500$. I knew it would be priced out of my range, but I didn't expect that high of a premium on Apple's lowest spec'd MBP.

For those not familiar, the ModBook Pro is simply a modified OEM apple laptop. For that reason it voids Apple's warranty but is otherwise not in breach of their Eula and whatnot.

What are your thoughts?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Fine expensive. So what can it do that a MBP cannot?

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It is a 13" MBP in tablet form factor with a pressure sensitive pen input.

Basically they take a 13" MBP, take it apart, and put it into a custom enclosure while adding the touch sensor and a few other things.

http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro-features/

I think it may make sense for those who spend all day doing design work and would benefit from the direct on-screen pressure sensitive pen input. Much like a Wacom Cintiq but completely self contained and portable.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Third party mods cost a lot? Have you looked at colorware recently?

5. fleawannabe macrumors regular

6. ZZ Bottom thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for elaborating on the subject and linking to their website. I was a bit lazy in my post.

I agree that it makes a lot of sense for many design professionals. However, Windows 8 tablets with i5 & i7 processors as well are just around the corner at a much much lower price. In no way would I prefer windows over Mac OS for general usage. But suppose I want to buy a tablet with a Wacom digitizer built in for use with Sketchbook Pro, Photoshop or another inking program, no way would I pay 3500$ for the same hardware as a Win8 tablet at 1500$ or less. And i do mean same hardware, since the 13" MbP has intel GPU. IMO way to wide of margin to make the ModBook reasonable.

I know it's fruitless to discuss this really, but it just seems that this boutique company is pricing themselves out of their desired market.

7. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

So overpriced. I guess they try to make up for the low number of people that will buy it. This isn't that much better than a Windows tablet other than running OS X.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

First thing they gotta do is to make OSX interface work as good as IOS, to that I say show me.

THEN housing a hot engine in a small package (I assume they are making it reasonably thin) they are going to sacrifice battery run time, because can't beat physics. Hmmm...

If anybody buy it... a niche.

9. identity macrumors 6502

The Modbook Pro is too much. I'd rather get a top of the line Retina MBP than this.

10. randomhkkid macrumors member

The price for this is crazy, for the same price of a modbook pro (i5 2.5ghz, 4gb RAM, 64gb SSD storage) $3500. You can get the top of the line 13" (i7 2.9ghz, 8gb RAM, 512gb SSD storage) with a thunderbolt display and have money to spare.... (Or even with a touchscreen monitor). This seems like a good idea if they priced it right say a $400 premium max but this is borderline crazy.

11. 7even macrumors 6502a

That's too bad. I would have considered switching from my $1100 PC tablet if this was more reasonably priced :)

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

3500$ for a thick and heavy tablet with an OS that isn't used to such input. I don't think that makes any sense but probably cannot be done all that much cheaper with the low volume and work necessary.

With Windows 8 and so many cheap decent lighter tablets on the horizon it seem ridiculous to buy something like this fat 13" Modbook.

13. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

This is IMO another unnecessary thing on the market. Can't you sketch on an iPad?
    They just transplanted the LB into another case and for that reason and at that price you still get the crappy integrated graphic?!?!?!?
    All this "on the go" design thing is just fluff... if you're a designer "on the go" you'd rather have a MBA for your internet and mobility needs and a pencil + a sketchpad to put down ideas that might come to you while "on the go", then you get back to your studio and finish your work on your beefed up Mac Pro with 4 external monitors :D

14. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

Wow, so expensive, I guess there must be a small niche market for OSX tablets that'll buy this. Expect something similar from Apple at a much affordable price point when OS 11 comes.

15. J.Appleseed macrumors regular

J.Appleseed

For that price, it'd at least expect a Retina display :p

16. 7even macrumors 6502a

Not with a real stylus. Remember that the Modbook Pro has a Wacom digitizer which allows much better precision than your finger or the iPad styluses.

Tablets that can do that are pretty useful on the go, but this is far too expensive.... I'd probably get a Macbook Air and a Cintiq 24 for the same money, though this combo would be slightly less portable :p

17. anonnymouse macrumors regular

Priceless

Frankly, this is long overdue, and is priceless. I work with a family with a daughter in a wheelchair. She has cerebral palsy, and can only communicate with software on her existing ModBook(s) using a head mouse (a dot on her forehead which is seen by a sensor mounted to the top of the computer facing her). She has two older ModBooks (the white ones based on an older white MacBook), one actively mounted to her wheelchair and one as a spare. This technology is the only thing that has worked for her to communicate with the outside world. We have explored the iPad, but it's truly not what will work for her.

This news of a slimmer, newer, SSD based ModBook Pro is a massive relief to her family, and they are very happy to order one (and an eventual second) so this wonderful young lady can communicate to others in her world.

You always read here that most people post only to complain about things, and yes, I have been guilty of that in the past too. I just wanted to pass on my positive note about this development with ModBook.

Thanks