Modbook Pro

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by eternlgladiator, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eternlgladiator, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

The thread in the macbook section died out and I'd rather discuss the product here anyways since it doesn't really fit in that section anyways. Axiotron announced their new modbook pro today, which will launch sometime this fall, as a 13.3" macbook pro slate. I know the old modbook was crazy expensive, relatively big, and just a bit ahead of its time. This could be a great gap to be bridged between iPad and Mac and I for one and am pretty excited to see how the pricing turns out. With very good specs (2.5-2.9 DC i5/i7 Ivy Bridge I think, up to 16 GB RAM, and up 1 TB of SSD or HDD storage) it could be a pretty good computer and arguably the best tablet on the market. Without seeing the price its hard to be certain but if it were competitive I'd happily consider trading my MBP and iPad 2 for one of these.

Thoughts?

ModBook Pro:Engadget

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I am curious to see this myself. Being an iPad owner it would sorta be like having a second iPad-esque tablet but with more laptop style power. Depending on price I might be interested but I'll wait to see what the specs are before anything else. Does look somewhat interesting though.

3. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

My understanding is that you have to buy either one of the current gen 13" MBP and then they mod it into this.

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Oh, well in that case, forget about it. I'd be a little apprehensive about handing over a $1500+ laptop and getting this back in return. I'll stick with the iPad.

5. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I don't think you have to buy one and send it in but that's the price of admission. You spec it, they buy it, mod it, and send it to you. Based on the way they're doing mods though I would assume it only takes a matter of minutes/hours to perform the mod and close up the case since the only upgrades the customer can make are to the RAM, processor, and storage. They would ideally have units ready to go with each base processor, then slap in the desired ram and storage, the close it up and ship it.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.