Modbook v. Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jjheylookatme25, Jan 27, 2008.

1. jjheylookatme25 macrumors newbie

So my macbook was doing all sorts of gross warping things, and finally I snapped the hinges, and seeing as how it would cost 3/4 of the price of my macbook to fix it, I am thinking of just getting a new computer in a few months in time for college. I have read a bit about the modbook, and I find the idea intriguing--I would really like to go completely paperless in college, and I like the convenience of digitized notes, while still being able to write them out. Scanning my textbooks also seems like a possibility that would be helpful. However, I am unsure about whether the processing speed and so on of the modbook would be enough. I use my laptop mainly for schoolwork and such, web page design with the macromedia programs is probably the most memory-intensive thing I do. Yet it really seems to take a toll on my computer--it tends to lag noticeably, compared to the Macbook Pros I have used. So I guess my question is--do people think tablets provide a significant advantage in a college setting, and if so, would it be worth getting one despite the lower specs I would have to settle for with a modbook?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I'm pretty sure they haven't shipped modbooks yet. The MBP will beat it at any speed test, but it doesn't have a touch screen that needs a pen. The thing about the MB is that it has an integrated GPU, and thus sucks away the system's RAM in addition to running slower than a dedicated GPU. You would best benefit from adding more RAM. I feel a MBP is overkill for you and that the modbook isn't available, so perhaps you would be better off fixing your MB.

3. jjheylookatme25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah, I don't need a new computer for 3-4 months, and I heard the modbook started shipping a week ago, so it should all be good by then. I'm not going to fix my macbook because it'll cost $700, and my macbook cost $1000, so it's a little ridiculous--I'm thinking about just hooking it up to a monitor and converting it to a desktop. Yeah, upgrading ram would be a good idea. Does anyone use a tablet for their classes though/find it useful?

4. iRabbit macrumors 6502

The ModBook IS indeed shipping... a few people have gotten them already. The distributors ARE backlogged in catching up on orders, but estimates are that new orders ship by the end of February (the last a lot of us have been told).

I will warn you if you decide to go with the ModBook that the wait time is frustrating right now, and there isn't a lot of communication happening with the distributors... they are decidedly very hush hush.

5. Yaris macrumors regular

Well, I'm not in college yet, but honestly I think it's way easier to take notes on old-fashioned pencil on paper, than typing it out, because sketching something out is way easier and better to deal with than drawing on a touchscreen and saving the file.

I would recommend just a MBP or MacBook for school.

6. iRabbit macrumors 6502

Update... latest emails from Axiotron/OWC state that old orders won't be fulfilled until March 21st, 2008 and the OWC website states (as of today) new orders won't get filled until after March 31st, 2008.

It's a cluster... er....

7. Mr. B macrumors regular

actually, since you can get a 7200 rpm hardrive from OWC when ordering the modbook, if you put in the same amount of ram for both computers (as well as the same size and speed hardrives) with both at lets say, 2.2 ghz, then the machines would have almost EXACTLY the same speed tests results, EXCEPT that is for the graphical capabilities.

in terms of graphics the macbook pro trounces all macbooks and macbook variations.

But other than that the speeds will be almost identical.

8. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I find it a lot easier to take notes with a pencil and paper, but in some of my classes I see some people using their laptops. In most of my classes the professors have the powerpoint online for you to download before class. I find it easier to print them out and add in other info. People use their laptops to just add right onto the slide or whatnot.

I don't know a great deal about the Modbook, just seen some demos of it. I would prefer to type than deal with touchscreen. I don't know how responsive and fast it would be compared to typing. So I would say to go with whatever you are more comfortable with.

9. iRabbit macrumors 6502

The whole discussion is absolutely pointless since the ModBook has proven impossible to get up to this point. People who ordered last year (early 2007) are still waiting. This is not the product for you if it's something you NEED right away -- LOL!

:eek: