Modbook will you ever come

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IDANNY, Oct 1, 2007.

1. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Heh, was never really that interested in the ModBook... it'd be simpler to just get a Toshiba made in that specification already.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I never did understand the fascination people have with tablets. What's the point? To get your fingerprints everywhere?:confused::confused::confused:

4. IDANNY thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

I think it might be pretty cool I never really wanted one. I was just wondering if anyone ever got one or anything.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Sure it'll seem cool for the first five minutes, and then when you have to do real work, you'll realize that it's a piece of garbage. Thus far, tablets have been a gimmick in my opinion. I think I'm better off with a traditional notebook (at half the cost mind you;)).

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you are probably right. it does seem cool though. glad i didn't order one though, 3 months!?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They kind of dropped off the face of the Earth after a big splash at... was it MWSF 06? What's going on? Did they never ship product, or is it just you? That really stinks. Be careful that you don't get bamboozled by them and end up losing your money.

8. IDANNY thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

they never charged my dads credit card. I wad wondering if anyone here has got one by any chance. I am not sure if it is just us or it is everyone.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It probably takes quite a bit of work to pull apart a MacBook and re-build it inside a new enclosure.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you sure your order is still active? FWIW, I don't think I can recall anyone ever reporting that they received and were using a Modbook on MR. Maybe I'll do a forum search, since I'm curious now....

EDIT: I found these two threads requesting the same information, but no one posted back with any.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=331173
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=289423

It does take a lot of work to retrofit them, but does anyone have any evidence that any units were ever delivered to customers since the time of MWSF? That's a long, long time. If they're making them, someone should've received a production unit by now.

11. IDANNY thread starter macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

yah the order is still current I'm guessing that no one ever recieved them. Its just strange.

12. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

These modbooks suck anyways. They are not touch screen. You can't use your finger on the screen. It has a wacom tablet type device under the screen. You must use a special pen. Lame if you ask me.

13. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I ordered one like 4 months aswell, i am still waiting for it. It should be here in December.

14. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Other tablets are basically the same thing. I worked on Gateway tablet laptops and they all had a stylus pen sensor under the LCD.

They were the laptop/tablets however, with the swivel screen. They were a pain to work on with the heavily used hinges that always broke and chewed up the cables that ran up through the hinge.

The pens would also stop working for no apparent reason. Lovely concept, poorly executed.

15. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I just got an OWC flyer that had a full page ad for the modbook. Anyone receive one yet?

16. beichner macrumors newbie

ModBooks shipping in December and January

I just called and was told the preordered ModBooks will ship December 28th and new orders will start going out on January 8th. Hooray! :)

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Only eight months late. :rolleyes:

They were announced to great fanfare at MWSF '07 and were supposed to ship in April. They've pushed back the shipping date several times since then, so I'll believe the December/January date when I see it.

FWIW, they're giving a ship date of January 4th for new orders.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's sad to hear they haven't pulled through. Sometimes these very small companies have seriously limited cash assets and run into problems because they lack the funds to do their actual manufacturing... and then they get into a spiral because they are burning whatever seed money they have but not really generating revenue because they aren't shipping anything.

Anyway, the way the story ends all too frequently is that the company goes out of business with the money of some pre-orderers... it seems in this case charges weren't made, which is a good sign at least.

I do hope they actually deliver, though. And hopefully with current spec Macbooks underlying their product and not the ones from a year ago....

19. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

20. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I read online that someone got an e-mail saying they are going to ship next month. Google it to find it. However I have no idea if the email was real or not.

21. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

here you are....

Attached Files:

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It has a pen, using your finger doesn't work.

'07.

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well I guess the pen makes more sense...although your fingernail would still do the trick (it did on my old [very old] Palm). Then again, fingernails wouldn't really lead to too many fingerprints. Meh. I'm still not impressed with tablets for regular consumers. I can see their purpose in restaurants, hospitals, etc, but for some reason I don't see why most of us need/could use one.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It didn't with the one I tried at MW'07.

It's a niche product. A very niche product.

25. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well that's disappointing, what happens if you loose the pen?:confused::eek:
    I suppose it is.