Modbook: worth buying now or are they going obsolete?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by techound1, Feb 19, 2010.

1. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I've been toying with the idea of getting a modbook to do on-the-fly sketching (and recording of that sketching - something the napkin has yet to master) and quick email and web research (looking for images to demonstrate concepts).

Is it worth picking up a modbook now or are they going obsolete (not just in comparison to the ipad, but as a product by itself)? It looks like OWC is only offering them for the non-unibody MB and the modbook website shows a MBP concept released at macworld '09 that has yet to be released.

Thoughts?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I can't see the value in one at all
    But that is just a personal opinion

If they were any good, we would probably see a lot more discussion about them

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm only offering opinion here, I have no real information to back it up. But I can't imagine that they will be disappearing right now. The tech world has been obsessed with the 'Apple Tablet', many were disappointed with what apple produced. As far as I can tell the modbook is what many of the critics wanted the iPad to be. While I believe that the iPad will be a success. I also believe that the modbook will get extra sales off the back of perceived weaknesses of the iPad.

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    It's a bit expensive, and no 3G. If they go bust, there goes your support too :(

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It sounds like the iPad would be a better solution? The head of Axiotron at least thinks there is a future.

6. techound1 thread starter macrumors 68000

techound1

It's a tough call - I'd like to be able to work in photoshop or illustrator, but the iphone app Sketchbook would work for the "in a pinch" that I really want this device (whatever it ends up being) for.

niuniu touches on one of my thoughts - what if they go belly up? But then, what do I really need support for? I feel like I know enough about Macs to be able to repair anything that goes bust, short of the screen pooing the bed.

I'm wondering how much I need the power of the MB vs. the iPad. The MB would allow me to do any post processing of images, combining images, etc without having to trek back to my MBP, which is nice - but is it worth the $1K price difference?

The MB can print - will the iPad be able to make use of ye olde paper?

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3g can be solved with a usb device

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Anybody know how long they have been around?
    They don't seem to be taking the world by storm, in spite of the iPad's perceived weaknesses

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

According to Macworld - 2005.

10. techound1 thread starter macrumors 68000

techound1

And they don't seem to be making them for the new unibodies, which is also pointing toward obsolescence.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Or they are waiting to update after the new MBPs are released.

Hard to say.

12. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

definately the iPad... i don't think the modbooks will go far and no 3g! [​IMG]

13. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Sure, iPad's an obvious choice if you're ok with finger painting, and you won't be able to record that finger painting because the device doesn't have the attention span... err.. doesn't allow multi tasking!

Also the 3G is great if you live in an AT&T 3G service area. ... and like AT&T. :D

Whee!

14. polotska macrumors 6502

If you want a tablet computer and are concerned about the viability of the manufacturer, you might want to consider a Windows tablet (e.g. ThinkPad X-Series Tablet).

15. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Ask them if they are coming out with new versions.

I know they have specials now that make them cheaper. With the ipad, it may cut into their sales, but I don't see it eliminating them. Two different products.

I think they look sleek.