Modbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alphaod, Jan 14, 2009.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I sent my tablet computer in for repair and it comes back even more broken. I'm really just tired of getting it fixed. I think I may just get a new tablet and of course the Modbook is on that list.

Unfortunately the hardware is quite old, or at least it is last generation hardware. I'm definitely not sending in my MacBook Pro in for modification, so the only way for me to do this is outright buy the solution.

If I do get it, it'll be the base configuration model with no upgrades (I already have RAM, HDD, etc.)

So what are y'all thoughts on this as a computer? Anyone have one or used one?

My other option is a Thinkpad X200, but right now the company I'm not happy with is Lenovo, so it's tough.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

One question that I have been meaning to ask is: Is Axiotron making a variant for the aluminum MacBook? I can't imagine that they CAN, what with it being a unibody and all, BUT, the bottom is separate from the unibody case, so they could leave the bottom and design an identical-looking upper case with the multitouch screen...

I'm just wondering, and you should ask yourself, too, if they have plans for a fully aluminum one, and then I'd go for that.

And by "I'd", I mean you AND me. :p Because if Apple isn't going to make me a 13.3" MacTablet, I may as well go with the next best thing...

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If they haven't made something based on the unibody Macbook (yet), it's probably not long before they will do so. Axiotron just introduced (at Macworld) their new Modbook Pro which is based on the unibody MacBook Pro base system.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

IS it based on the unibody MacBook Pro? Well, that's good news. There may be hope for my MacTablet, yet...

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I fully understand this wait for the update deal, but unfortunate this time need supersedes want. So right now, the difference is getting work done and no getting work done. Sure I can use notebooks and all, but that means carrying 6 notebooks around and if I need, an additional MacBook Pro; if I get a Modbook, I can skip the additional computer and skip all the notebooks I'd have to carry.

Of course I'd love to get an unibody designed one, and I'm sure they have one in the works, but as of this moment, I don't care about that.

I really just want to know if it's a good choice at all.

6. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not really... but maybe order a touchscreen display panel and manually installing it?

I think you should stick with Lenovo. Maybe it was just one guy who had a bad day who fixed your tablet. It's not like Apple's customer service is 100% perfect anyway.

8. akbc macrumors 6502

Well, I don't own and never used a Modbook before, but I do own a Fujitsu T4220 Tablet (convertible) PC.
    Fujitsu recently updated their tablets and convertible PC's, and they're 100% Made in Japan so you can trust the quality.
    Very fine-made machine, and I love my Fujitsu for it's solid performance as well.

Something that might be worth looking into.
    And are you just looking for Tablet's?

Actually, I guess not since you're thinking of the Lenovo X200..
    I love the X series from Lenovo.. they're all nice.. and nicely overpriced too :)

9. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

9 blunders over 2 years related to the same issue, so I don't call it a bad day; I call that service incompetence.

AFAIK anything Japan exports isn't top quality. That's what they told me the last time I went there.

Well the X200 tablet was what I was refering to. If I were to get the ultraportable, I'd get the X301.