Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sircutbreaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Florida
I set up a home theater recently..

Here are the components...

Time Capsule with 1TB USB Drive attached
Wii (soft modded) 1TB drive attached to that with the WBFS program for mac
Apple TV (with the atv flash patchstick)
52" Samsung series 7
Infinity tss1200 Speakers
Denon AV Reciever
Logitech Harmony 720

To start with you must enable streaming from the NitoTV Plug in for the atv.
(easy to do.. just run the "smart installer")

I have an imac in the house that is port forwarded so that I can apple remote desktop to it from anywhere...

I can ARD into that machine, open a browser, and download whatever movie I want.

Transmission is set to place the file on the shared usb drive attached to the time capsule.

The apple tv is configured to mount that shared drive automatically.

I have the cable modem go to the time capsule.. and the atv connected to the time capsule by ethernet (although it is more than capable of streaming)

my mbp is configured as the comp with itunes connected to the atv...

I can use my iphone to play music and use the atv.. but the logitech remote works lovely with it as well...

If you just want to play a movie, its easy to pick up the remote and navigate to the "files" plug in.. and traverse through the network usb share.

atv plays whatever format.. and I dont use itunes to sync the movies...
itunes syncs my music and pictures.. (which is the screen saver)

I cant say enough good things about this setup... the samsung's picture is absolutely stunning..

the tss 1200 speaker system powered by the denon amp produces a rich sound...

Using the atv to stream my digital content has been a very positive experience... I am not limited to any of its contraints.. unlocking it truly made this system magical....

20090830-jamm3w3374k29cwyek41sgterh.jpg

Sickwickednasty

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2008
Looks like a nice setup.

I have a similar setup, ATV wireless-ly streaming movies from a Time Capsule.

Up until now, I've used either Boxee or XMBC to access the time capsule, and I'm wondering how you were able to get the "Files" plugin to access the Time Capsule.

I've run Smart Installer on NitoTV, but when I try to mount a network share on NitoTV I get an error.

Any ideas?

I've read in a couple of places that I need to run Smart Installer with a recovery.dmg from an original AppleTV in the documents folder to get NitoTV to mount network shares, is that what you did?

I have an original ATV but I can't seem to figure out how to generate that recovery image.

Any help would be appreciated.

sircutbreaker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Florida
Mount network share

I can't get atv to mount the time capsule... it mounts the usb drive attached to it.

I did a factory system restore, updated the atv to the latest firmware (2.4 i think), installed the atvflash 3.6.2 patchstick, and ran the nitoTV smart installer...

I was then able to mount the usb drive attached to the time capsule.

You go into nito/network and set the mount.

If you get an error when mounting, restart the atv and try again... It took longer to mount the wireless share... Now that I have the atv connected to the time capsule via ethernet, the mount is quicker...

Should be a piece of cake..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.