Modding Proclip iPhone Mount to Hold Caseless iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jkfb123456, Oct 14, 2012.

1. jkfb123456 macrumors newbie

I currently have the Proclip mount for iPhone 4 with a case. I want to use my iPhone 5 without a case but I don't want to shell out another 40 dollars just to get a piece of plastic with slightly narrower grooves.

Has anyone successfully modded their mount to hold a caseless iPhone. If not, does anyone have any good ideas on how to go about modding it. I tried picking up some rubber pieces at the local Home Depot.

2. threezero macrumors 6502

i'm using the iphone 3g proclip holder for my 3g -> 4 -> 5 with no problem

good look getting it to fit naked. my solution is just to buy a cheap case from the local asian market. $6 and it slide in perfectly

3. robotphood macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know who posted a picture of their proclip iphone 4 passthrough connector modded for the lightening 30 pin adapter? The thread which it was in "The best iPhone 5 car mounting solution?" seems to have disappeared

4. robotphood macrumors 6502a

It was easier then I thought. Just 2 screws to take out the 30 pin adapter. Replaced it with the lightening adapter and used 3m mounting foam squares cut to size.

I thought about sanding down the holder pieces and enlarging the screw holes so I can get a narrower width for a caseless iPhone 5 but will try it as is for now. I used a caseless 4/4s on the proclip for over a year with no problems. The grooves didn't provide any stabilization that way, purely as "guides" for docking the phone.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351314426.771445.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351314436.804210.jpg

5. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I did the same as you, but I left the sides on so I could line up the phone and adapter for easy insertion. The Proclip I had for a 4 with a case when completely closed was too loose for the 5. I therefore put some adhesive backed felt on the side holders and that was perfect. Also protects the finish.

With the adapter in the phone and the bottom pieces separated, I then slid it into place to find the best position and alignment.

What I used to fill the gap around the adapter is a stretchy black tape that is used to seal pipes. I don't know what the exact name is, but when you stretch it and wrap it on itself, it seals to itself and is slightly compressible so it holds the adapter in place quite nicely.

Since the lightning adapter "snaps" into place and requires a bit of a pull to remove the phone, be careful. I usually put counter pressure on the Proclip as I remove the phone.

Now I can use a black charging cable, which I hope to later hide in the dash.

Pics later...

6. robotphood macrumors 6502a

I used a caseless iphone 4 and 4S in the adjustable proclip so it was always too wide. My thought process back then was to cover my bases just in case I got a case or for future wider iphones (0/2).

Anyway, the 30pin plug is more stable than the lightening plug so after using my modded mount this weekend I realize that the phone isn't as secure (bounces back on screen taps). I did try adhesive backed felt also but it was a little too thick and I lost the grooves that made it easier to guide the phone in. I think I may add some kind of foam or rubber piece on the face of the mount so the phone sort of has back support. Just has to be the right thickness.

7. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Sugru!

I had the same problem, and like you, tired rubber feet and felt, all of which eventually came off leaving a sticky residue.

I took a hunk of black Sugru and molded it into a blunt cone shape. I put it on the Proclip right behind the phone. I then put the phone in the holder so that the Sugru was a backrest for the phone. Works great.

8. edulinka macrumors member

Still expensive

I am thinking about this part 514434 from proclip [​IMG] but still expensive and you need to buy cable. Maybe they will drop price for it or I will find coupon somewhere

9. robotphood macrumors 6502a

I've always been amazed at the things people do with sugru but never got any. It is permanent though?

10. edulinka macrumors member

Access

Can you pm me on it. I dont know why I dont have access to your link. Send me a picture

11. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Just sent you a PM. I'll have you a photo within 2 hours. I'll go home at lunch and snap a few pics.

12. edulinka macrumors member

Got it

Thanks I don't need it. I just sold almost same holder from my iPhone 4 to my friend. I looking for somthing ready for iPhone 5

13. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

No problem!

14. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Robot,

Was your passthrough adapter not glued to the mount? Even after unscrewing the 2 screws, I can't remove mine from the mount.

15. Vesian macrumors member

I know this might not solve the problem ideally, but I took my iphone 4 with case proclip and just tore off the cable-passthrough part. Now, the 5 can sit in the same proclip in a case and I just feed the lightning cable into it after I put it in the dock.

16. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Yeah, if i can't get the passthrough connector out, that's what i'm doing. I'll just dremel the whole section off.

17. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Use a razor blade to separate the connector from the bracket. Use a little heat if that doesn't work.

18. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Here's how mine looks:

The reason it doesn't sit flush is because the sides do actually hold the naked iphone suspended so the adaptor had to be raised to dock properly.

Attached Files:

19. robotphood macrumors 6502a

Nope. Mine was just sandwiched together with the screws.

20. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

That's what I have been using for about 2 weeks now. It really is excellent and well worth the money.

21. robotphood macrumors 6502a

I personally prefer the pass through dock. Takes no precision to dock, literally just drops into place.

22. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

I remodded mine to be more low profile and all black. I found a third parter black sync cable and attached it to the bottom. It is a little higher now than the previous adapter to allow room for cases.

Working great so far. Now I need to figure out how to hide the wiring. The one I got on Ebay actually has a flat cable, which is nice.

23. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

24. thehotrod11 macrumors newbie

I ordered the 514423 for my iPhone 5 and my Kia Soul. And I must say this is the best vehicle mount I've ever had. I've had a Kennisington for the 4s and a universal one. This one is beautiful. The way it looks like it is part of my car. And the Adjustable Holder is perfect. It is easy to insert my phone. And very sturdy and strong. I'd recommend it for anyone.

25. jonslider, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

jonslider macrumors newbie

I have iPhone 3GS proclip docks with integrated cable.

When I got my iPhone 5, I pushed the Apple 30pin to lighting connector onto the Proclip dock. The iPhone 5 worked, but wobbled unless I stuffed kleenex behind it. And when undocking I had to use 2 hands or the lightning adapter came off the dock.

I like the ideas people came up with here to add felt to the 3gs dock channels, and the idea to put the lightning adapter into the proclip dock down low, where the 30pin cable sits, so you dont need 2 hands to undock. otoh, by the time you buy the $30 lightning adapter, youre almost half way to the cost of a new dock.

I bought the new model 514422 iPhone 5 dock from Proclip. I dont use a case, and do not need the cigarette lighter charger, because my stereo accepts the USB cable from the iPhone.

this lets me hear navigation and music through my car stereo, and keeps the phone charged.

The Proclip iPhone 5 dock I chose is $50. Plus a lightning cable, another $20. It works great, no need to use 2 hands to undock, no wobbling of the phone when using it in the dock.

Other than price, I like the new iPhone 5 dock very much.

btw, the iPhone 5 headphone jack is on the bottom. IF you use an auxiliary cable to feed music from phone to stereo, you need the new Proclip dock that leaves a space for the headphone jack. The old docks cover the headphone jack on the iPhone 5.

So dock options include,
    1. a dock with no built in cable (2 hands to connect and disconnect cable)
    2. dock with integrated cable mount, that lets you plug into USB power, either from a cig lighter, or stereo.
    3. If your stereo has no USB, you need a cig lighter USB charger, PLUS an auxiliary cable to send sound from phone to stereo. If your stereo has no headphone input, and no USB input, you can not play your music through the car speakers. fwiw, FM adapters work very very badly.