Modding the Macbook Pro Worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cyclonetaz23, Jun 15, 2009.

1. cyclonetaz23 macrumors newbie

Alright so ive always been interested in Apples new technology and how user friendly and apealing to the younger crowd its been. Im def interested in getting my self a nice Macbook pro for Video Editing purposes meaning its going to need the top of the line everything. Only thing is, is it really worth spending 4 to 5 grand for the top Pro? So my question is, is it possible to buy the cheapest 15" Pro on the market with the Highest Processor and just modd or upgrade the internal harware for the same if not better performance for Cheaper than the listed price? Or is it just cheaper to buy it from them? Ive been trying to look for Macbook Pro hardware and its near impossible to find compatible upgrades for them. I see that the Macbook is easier to modd than the pro. So should i go with a Macbook instead and modd it to exceed a pro or match one? Need help to figure this out. Need some one who knows Mac internals like the back of their hand.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

it is almost always a better idea to upgrade hard drives and RAM via 3rd party vendors. So, the basic rule is to get the highest processor you can afford in the computer, then upgrade the RAM and hard drive on your own.

3. cyclonetaz23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well yes of course. I def know that and agree. The thing is, price wise. Will it be cheaper to do so? Combine all aftermarket parts along with the purchase of the cheapest Pro with the best proccessor and will it be cheaper than the top of the line Pro?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

VERY much so, yes. Do the processor update from Apple, because that's the only thing that CAN'T be changed third-party.

5. cyclonetaz23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good, any aftermarket hardware website reccomendations/vendors?

6. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I'd suggest some Crucial RAM, I've been using it in my new UMBP and it works great.

7. cyclonetaz23 thread starter macrumors newbie

What websites are out there that i can use to find some aftermarket performance hardware that is Pro compatible?

8. TheClarkster macrumors newbie

It sounds like you are under the assumption that upgrading will get you a vastly superior computer. You will only be able to get a larger/faster hard drive, and more memory.

You will not be able to upgrade anything else, processor, video card, etc...

So to get the most out of your money you will need to buy the faster CPU and Graphics card from Apple. So the highest upgrades on the 15". Then upgrading the harddrive and memory yourself, using standard aftermarket PC upgrades, like crucial ram and a 7200 or SSD hard drive.

So just purchase the best fastest macbook pro you want, but don't upgrade the ram or harddrive through apple.

9. cyclonetaz23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much. Your answer has been extremely helpful. Thats exactly the answer i was looking for. That seems more reasonable. Now as for the warranty on the Pro its self, by applying these aftermarket parts to imrpove the performance, will Apple technical support not offer their services or does that mot matter?

10. TheClarkster macrumors newbie

Upgrading the RAM and Harddrive will not void the warranty if you don't break anything while upgrading. And from what I hear, warranty won't cover the new items (makes sense). Just be careful about it when you upgrade.

If anyone at Apple gives you trouble over the warranty issue just talk to someone else. People seem to once in a while get someone who won't honor the warranty after a HD upgrade, but if you talk to someone more knowledgeable they will be okay with it.

If you want to make sure everything is completely fine, you can get them to upgrade your computer if you bring the memory and HD into an Apple store I think.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I can't picture the Apple people installing memory or a HD that you bought elsewhere. Suppose you bring in an HD you bought from xxx and it doesn't work; Apple doesn't want to get blamed for possibly breaking the drive/memory. Apple will install stuff they sell, not 3rd party stuff. Even if Apple did install 3rd party, it wouldn't be covered by warranty.

12. TheClarkster macrumors newbie

Never done it myself. Only mentioned it because I've heard it recommended many times on the forums here. People said there was a cost associated with it, so I assumed someone had tried it.

13. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Any popular notebook hdd or ram will work. Just go to http://newegg.com and search for what you need and get whatever is cheapest with a high rating, newegg is the best site you can go to for do-it-yourself computer parts since their margins are super low and their shipping service cant be any faster.