Modding the Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by d wade, Apr 13, 2009.

1. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

I have heard there is a way to mod the Xbox 360 so that you can play burnt discs. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm sick of spending $60 on a game only for it's newer, more improved game to come out a few months later. I want to be able to download a game, burn it to a DVD, and be able to play in on my Xbox 360.

Just curious if anyone here has done so and had any stories/advice, etc

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

3. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Nobody here is going to help you break copyright laws. Head over to afterdawn's forums, they have more lax rules over there.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If that's how you see the gaming industry then I feel sorry for you.

edit: Ok so if this really a problem for you;
    1) Stop buying crap. Look into upcoming releases and decide which game you want. Don't spend all your pocket money at once ;)
    2) Sell old games or trade in for newer titles.
    3) Wait until a new game is no longer the 'in thing' and get it for much less, better still wait a week after launch and get the game second hand for half the price.
    3.5) Stop buying from shops and buy from eBay.
    4) Games dont work like that, a better game doesn't come out next month. There hasn't been a casual FPS to replace Halo, there hasn't been a 3D platformer to replace Mario Galaxy, there hasn't been a stealth game to replace MGS4. Games don't work like technology unless you see them as fashionable items. A "better" game doesn't come along every few months, not even every generation.

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Personally, when the damn XBOX360s themselves are built to explode, having a way to play copies of your own, personally owned, games is a nice touch.

When a game is playing and you jostle the box, oops you scratched your $60 disc. Go buy another one, or spend a few hours making that a moot point when a burnt copy just got scratched.

There are legit reasons for things like this.

Whatever the OP's intentions, automatically chiming in "ARRRRRRRRG!" doesnt help.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

Boca? sweet my girl lives off of Yamato.

any way - yeah it can be done, but you aren't going to get any help off of MR - if you do a google you can find many many guides covering this.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

No dude, the OP wants to pirate games. He doesn't deserve any consideration. And your reason for backup is just like people who want to hack PSP/DS firmware, a teeny-tiny minority may just wanna back it up or play with no disc or whatever, but bottom line is the vast majority just wanna steal crap and justify it, like the OP did, to make themselves out as victims of the big-bad game corporations.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Can has thumb up smilie?

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You got it spot on, great response.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

There's nothing automatic about people responses. The OP's intent is clear.

11. Aser macrumors newbie

even tho most want to just take the games and distribute them for their own profit or whatever i can see where the OP is coming from since i also have a 360. it is frustrating to see you disc come out with a giant ring on it. this is a bad problem with 360's and could have been fixed by Microsoft for only .50 cents per console. but if you Google it you can find what you're looking for

12. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

The ring is caused from tilting the machine when a disc is running inside. It clearly states in the xbox manual not to do this.

I do lots of research before I buy a game, mostly involves hiring it out from the video store for a couple of nights and playing it to see if its good. The only games ill buy with out trying are sequels to good games I already own i.e Halo and GOW.

And if you are buying games that have sequels coming out in a few months theymust be really cr*p games cause the company has obviously put a lot of time and effort in to designing them :rolleyes:

Just buy the games. The more we spend on games the more game developers have to spend on making better games.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If you read OP post he is very clear that he was to pirate the game. I have to give him props for being honest about it but all he wants to do is pirate his games and not pay for them. I find that very wrong. If you want a game buy it.

I am among that group who would love to have his 360 modded to play games off the HD. I do not want to mess with the disk. I find it annoying to have to change out the disk when I want to play different game.

Back-up is not my reason for wanting to do it. That is a load of crap. I have yet to find some one who claimed "back-up" as there reason for coping a game cd or a music CD. Now I have copied a music CD because I did not want to mess with having one in my car and one at home to listen 2. The copied stayed in my car. Original in the case at home that I played at home. Now the closes I came to making a "back-up" of a game disk was when I would play a game both on my laptop and desktop. I made a copy so I would not have to mess with the disk moving around. I make images now just to advoid dealing with putting the disk in my DVD drives.

14. xcking07 macrumors newbie

Dont be cheap. Buy games. support the game companies

15. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Yeah, if you've got a 360 having the option to back up your OWN games would be nice. Especially if you get your disk chewed up by the 360. If that happens, the game wont work ever again, and you have to buy a new one. Nope, no one will replace it for you. Apparently, it's 'your own fault' :( I'm not condoning piracy or what the OP is trying to do... I'm just saying if you've got a 360 or a REALLY old system (NES, Atari 2600 etc) that could clonk out on you anytime, backups are always welcome.

Anywho, I only use my PS3, so I don't need to back up anything :D

That is also a great idea, and why I'd like to have a gaming PC. No stupid disk swapping.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I ringed Call of Duty 3 - when my cat knocked over my 360 whilst it was vertical (now its always horizontal).

Activision replaced the disc for £10, they just insisted I send back the original disc. Took 10 days from sending it off, to getting a replacement copy.

So yes, companies will replace for a nominal fee.

17. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The absolute definition of laziness :p

18. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

So far you cant mod the 360. You mod the DVD drive. So, homebrew/launching off the HDD isnt possible yet. :(

19. d wade thread starter macrumors 65816

d wade

i forgot.. this forum is land of the goody goodies.

trust me, i've given microsoft PLENTY of money over the years. numerous xbox's and xbox 360's (which have broken for no reason by the way) -- hundreds of games, i buy downloadable content (map packs for gow, gow2, cod4, etc etc etc) -- broken controllers, microphones, etc.

so yes, i wanted to know how to mod it to play downloaded games. anyway, obviously i wont get help here, so i'll just search elsewhere. no big deal.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not really. We are the 'real' hardcore gamers. The ones who actually believe that by purchasing our games we are investing and sustaining an industry that provides us with hours of entertainment.

We do not believe the world 'owes us' anything, and we understand that in life you have to pay your way.

TRUST! You speak of trust after blatantly asking for information on how to 'rob' others of their work.

You sir are a modern day Robin Hood. Seriously have you thought of writing a book on how much of a saint you really are ?

Good choice. Please close the door on the way out :rolleyes:

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yeah I read up on how to do DVD thing and it looks simple enough to do but for me it is not worth it because the only REAL reason people do that is the pirate and I do not want to pirate games I want to pay for them so new and better games come out. 2nd does not stop having to change the disk problem that is my real problem.

To bad I wish I could play games off the hard drive and not have to switch disk because one thing I love about the accard games I have installed is I just play them off the HD no matter what game disk I have in there.

22. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Like I said, there ARE legit reasons to used burned 360 games.

If you dont care to research or learn about them, dont put your opinion on the matter out there, because you're wrong.

Whenever people get around to finally getting the 360 HDD hacked and allowing booting of games from it, Im sure youll have the same complaints about it only being for pirating and not actually useful for load times. :rolleyes:

23. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I have my original xbox modded like that, with the hdd loader. Its so mush nicer. I dropped a 200gb drive (it was big at the time, lol) in it and it holds a quite a few games and movies and i can keep my games in a drawer. I'd probably buy a 360 if it had a hdd loader. I would be so pissed if it scratched one of my games. The rrod is keeping me from getting a 360 too, but hopefully by the time a hdd loader is done MS will have actually fixed it.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The only way I've heard of a 360 disc being scratched is by moving the system whilst the disc is spinning. It's the same if I load up a video on my iPod, stand it on a desk and then push it over - it won't like it! It's not a design flaw with iPods either. Electronic with moving parts+heavy external movement=trouble. Thats a strange reason for not buying a console, especially since you get 3 years warranty on the RRoD.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Some of the older 360s they ran some test on and it showed damaging the disk under normal house hold vibrations (speakers, people running across the floor, slight bump to the TV stand ect) Things that should not cause a problem.