Modding your MBP (late 2008)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndiG, Nov 14, 2008.

1. AndiG macrumors newbie

Hi,
    this thread should contain ideas and experiences about modding your MBP. Why is this necessary, you might ask - well, then this forum isn't for you.
    I owned one of the new MBP for two and a half weeks before I sold it again.

The major deal breaker was the glossy display, great when you work in a dark area - horrible to me when I was working in a bright room with windows. Since I know that the glass panel is removeable I'm thinking about a possibility to fix this 'glassy' display. Working 8 to 12 hours a day with a glossy display causes strain to my eyes...

I read the read about the guy who tries to replace his Macbook display, but he doesn't try to replace the glass.

I think there are two possibilities
    1) use coated glass, like this one
    http://www.berlinerglas.de/htdocs_en/application/display_glass.html

2) completely remove the glass and replace it with a light aluminium frame. This would also fix the issue with the loose display hinges.

By the way, does your trackpad sound like a clicker toy too ? (metal toy, that is shaped like a frog with a spring inside - when you press it sounds like 'knick' when you release it it sound like 'knack' - Knackfrosch we call it in Germany)

What is your opinion ? (Don't want too hear things like, 'are you crazy - the display is sooo great', I hate glossy displays - you know...) Is there a change for an aftermarket product to fix Apples design ?

P.S.
    I don't think Apple is going to fix the glassy thing, there are signs that Apple might leave the 'pro' market and becomes a consumer only company:
    >The vice president in charge of Apple's enterprise sales for the past four >years is leaving the Mac maker and will not be replaced, according to a >published report.

2. Red-red macrumors 6502

Absolutely ridiculous statement.

3. AndiG thread starter macrumors newbie

Absolutely useless statement if you don't explain why...

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Because Apple sells a lot to the "creative" market who are pros (graphics arts, video, etc...). These aren't necessarily enterprise sales. Those are typically selling large quantities inside a big company. Most of which aren't "creative" job functions.

Finally, you are quoting a rumor. Not a statement from Apple. If Apple had said they are eliminating their enterprise sales force, that would be very different.

5. AndiG thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe you are right, but what about this:
    - Notebooks - glossy only
    - (All?) Upcoming Cinema displays glossy only
    - XServe Raid canceled

I just can't believe that all professional users suddenly start to like glossy displays because his Steveness decided that.

When you walk into a supermarket you'll get glossy consumer stuff. When we are ordering display and notebooks from HP, Dell, whatever we are ordering matte displays, like every other company I know ans as a freelancer I know really a lot of companies - and other freelancers.

So I still don't think it is ridiculous. I spent a lot of time and money for buying hardware and software when I switched to a Mac two years ago. When Apple says 'we make no pro hardware anymore' - that's ridiculous. And a glossy display is nothing to work with all the day - in my eyes. So we now have a 15 inch Macbook for surfing and gaming a few hours a
    day after work is done and when it is dark outside. There is no Macbook Pro anymore.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Isn't Apple focussed on the needs of pro end users such as Graphic Designers rather than IT Professionals?

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Someone else mentioned the "clicker toy" sound with the glass trackpad - the solution was to put a small piece of eyeglass tissue (or other soft non-shedding material) between the battery and the housing.

8. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

The XServe was never canceled.

9. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

I only got my new MacBook Pro on Wednesday night but I think over time the trackpad has gotten a little quieter.

10. AndiG thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I said the RAID option was canceled. I think there was a special version of the XServe...

Yes, at least that was their focus. But I think it makes no difference why you have to look at the display 8 hours a day. So it makes no difference to me if you are a software architect like I am or if you do professional photo editing.

At least there have to be some people that write the software other people use.

Thanks, I think I saw a photograph of this approach...

11. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

so you claim to be a "pro" user, yet you buy a laptop that you should have known wouldn't suit your needs. if i were you i would sell your mac and buy a pc that does exactly what you need it to. or sell the mbp and buy a mac pro and an ext. display that is to your liking. since you state you use your mbp 12 hours a day, why did you buy a laptop to begin with? you make no sense and are probably just a whiner.

12. AndiG thread starter macrumors newbie

If you were capable of reading you should have known that I sold my new MBP again. But maybe you're just an idiot - should we go on discussing that way ?

To explain it to you, as a freelancer I've different customers and I take my notebook with me (this is still a 2nd generation MBP). Yes I was giving the new MBP a try, cause there was no matte option. That is important to know for me, cause it influences my decisions on hardware and software in the future.

And since I'm not one of those whining without having experiences, I just gave it a try. So is this enough explanation for you ?

13. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

14. wesrk macrumors 6502a

so getting back on topic for a minute, or as much as I can, how much would you be investing in fixing the screen issue?
    I know a few people at school that bought the new MBP and are not entirely happy with the screen, especially in classrooms. All I can do is offer them to exchange it with my "classic" mbp, :p No takers yet though :p

15. RelievedSimplet macrumors member

As for the clicking, the solution is simple. Go to trackpad preferences and enable 'tap to click' and 'secondary tap'. I haven't had to deal with the clickclack sound because it took 5 seconds out of my day to look through system preferences and enable what I wanted to. Now I just completely silently tap to left click, and completely silently tap with two fingers to right click. Not exactly rocket science, and one of your "problems" is already fixed.

16. AndiG thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that was my original intend. I think most people (including me) would spent something between 100$ and 200$. Someone could make lots of money if enough people are interested.

Maybe the guys from ifixit could help to investigate the following questions
    1) Is the aluminium lid strong enough without the glass
    2) Is the display a normal display (consider cleaning of the display)
    3) What happens to the warranty if you remove the glass ?

If these questions can be answered positive, I think an aluminum frame equal to that one of the MBA could do the job. But it should be of high quality. What do you think ?

That could fix several issues:
    - glossy display
    - loose display hinges (because of the weight loss)
    - additionally one could save 200 to 300 gramms

This thread is very interesting, at the end there is a statement that the lid is strong enough:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=590159&page=2

Yes, I had the "tap to click option" enabled, but then my trackpad started to loose clicks and sometimes was unresponsive. With the normal click it didn't loose clicks.

This was another bug of my machine, but I was willing to ignore it although I like the soft and gentle 'real' click of my MBA and my 'old' MBP (not rocket science, just my personal preference).

17. scheming macrumors member

18. AndiG thread starter macrumors newbie

Could solve the issue, you're right. But I haven't tried this and the statements from the people that tried it are not so good - still waiting for a review (And I don't want to put a piece of cheap plastic on a 2500$ machine, just to make it work). I still like the idea of modding this thing best, cause as far as I know the display is matte and superb (behind the glass).

Modding PCs was/is a trend, why shouldn't someone make money with Apple modding. An aluminium frame that replaces the glass could be black or silver and maybe there are even more ideas how to fix several issues.

BTW I don't want to convince anybody that glossy displays are bad, they just don't fit my needs. I have been an Apple evangelist, but I don't believe everything Apple does is great. And I convinced a lot of people to buy a Mac over the last two years.

19. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

This was taken off pg. 2 of the Apple warranty seen here: Warranty

No modding!

20. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

So far to date, there's nothing advertised anywhere to suggest that Apple's HD Cinema Displays are going glossy!! Period. If your getting this info because Apple introduced a large display for their notebook series then you're the one who's taking things outta proportion.

Ever since Apple started making computers, they have tried and tested the market with various solutions, occasionally they fail and the XServe Raid was one of those failed systems. But don't worry.. Apple has replaced it with a 3rd party system from Promise with Xsan support - though admittedly the Xserve Raid offered by Apple looked sexier... but you know, how many system admins really care about looks?

21. viriiguy macrumors newbie

Oh yea, that is some clear and level headed thinking right there....
    To "fix" a $2500 laptop, you would rather REMOVE or modify an integral part, instead of trying a safe and removable matte film.

Glad you don't work for me.

22. AndiG thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point ! What does it tell you exactly, can you loose the warranty for the logic board if you remove the display glass ? Not sure about that...

I've to admit that this question can get very complicated. If the damage has nothing to do with the modification (like putting a sticker on my unibody), could the warranty get void ?

Nevertheless I would do the modification, but maybe there are a lot of people who won't. I've just read about a new petition of about 6000 people - this would give 6000 possible customers for the beginning, maybe just 3000 or 1000, maybe even more - worldwide.

This is a thread about creating a mod for the current MBP - if you are not interested or don't like it, please go away. All constructive posts and ideas are welcome, even those who tell me why it won't work.

I have to admit that I've replied to posts of people who are just trying to start a flame war - my fault.

But please, this is a thread about creating a mod for the current MBP - if you are not interested or don't like it, please go away !!! All constructive posts and ideas are welcome, even those who tell me why it won't work, but again all others please just go away...

This is the only comment you will get from now on.

23. viriiguy macrumors newbie

Well, from what I am seeing, you are the one who just writes flames. You have jumped in half cocked and ready to hang Apple, claiming wildly untrue facts based upon your own feelings and some unsubstantiated rumors, that you either read or made up.

I was merely trying to imbue upon you the absolute ludicrousness of your statements. Myself, I am an IT Pro, I use my iPhone and my Macbook Pro under all manner of lighting conditions. Only under direct sunlight do I ever have issues. And a Matte screen does not help in those conditions.

First of all AndiG, you must consider that Apple caters to Media pros, not IT pros. Media pros would generally rather have a glossy screen, as it a closer representation of the colors displayed. Matte screens distort the shades displayed.

But so far the only truthful statement you have made about Apple, has been that the MBP's are currently Glossy only.

24. AndiG thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a thread about creating a mod for the current MBP - if you are not interested or don't like it, please go away. All constructive posts and ideas are welcome, even those who tell me why it won't work.

25. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

The entire warranty will be voided, not just little parts of it. Technically if you remove one screw from the side, your warranty is void unless you take it to a Apple store or Apple Authorized Service Center.