Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Please no chuckles about my setup- by I am running a new Dual 2.3 Powermac and Tiger with dialup for the moment (yes, dialup!!!) :(

For some reason it likes to dial up on its own. I'll disconnect, then a minute later or five minutes later it will randomly start dialing up again. This happens seemingly when any combination of apps is open, or not open. (It's done it when no apps were open.)

Sometimes it tries to connect when I wake it from sleep. I do have dashboard running obviously, but that typically doesn't try to get online unless I initiate Dashboard.

Apps: Standard Apple apps, Macromedia Studio MX apps, Adobe Design Suite, Limewire, VLC, Suitcase, Toast. Oh, and MYSQL/PHP... (anybody know how to uninstall these?)

Anybody got any ideas?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Can we assume that you have "connect automatically when needed" checked in your PPP options? You might want to try a futility like Little Snitch to see what wants to make a connection at those times.

Another possibility is that your Mac is simply lonely and wants to talk.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Yes, I must have that box checked... although I am not on that system this second. I guess I could just shut it off. I will check out Little Snitch though.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
I find it quite disturbing, but it is true that a whole army of applications and even small little widgets and utilities assume that it is ok for them to have access to the internet without your permission. On broadband you don't mind it so much because it's not consuming any appreciable bandwidth or computing time, but it still gives me rage when problems 'phone home'. Even Apple's programs are guilty of this.

What is probably happening, as the other poster suggested, is that the setting to automatically connect to the internet when needed is checked. One of the naughty little buggers mentioned above wants to call home and check it's not been pirated or to see if there is a new version available.

It really does make me very angry.

Can I also re-emphasise how good a program 'Little Snitch' is!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
Would (or could) a program phone home if it's not even running though? Also, I thought Apple only phoned home on the schedule of my software update. The only app on my system that I don't really trust is Limewire. I seldom have it open, but I'd like to keep it around. I wonder then if it's a widget causing trouble.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
What about network time sync? It always seems to do that on boot and periodically through the day on my machines.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 11, 2003
That's an interesting thought too. Does it do that on a standalone machine like mine that lives alone?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Since you have Tiger then may any of the Dashboard widgets be the responsible? I know some of them (like the Weather widget and the currency part of Unit Converter) "phones home" at regular intervals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.