modem for extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by davedodson, Oct 12, 2008.

1. davedodson macrumors newbie

hi, just joined but have been browsing for weeks and learned a load so thank you.

unfortunately you all tempt me into spending money so i have bought an AEBS 'n'. and plan to buy the new macbook to replace my powerbook G4.

i live in the uk and have SKY BB coming so the question is:

does anyone recommend a modem that works well with the extreme. i have an 8mb connection. if that is important.

thanks.

2. Doctor Doom macrumors member

Hi, i use a netgear dm111p modem (its just a straight modem, no frills) Or you might want a modem-router so you can have an exclusive "n" 5ghz network off your extreme and a mixed "a,b,g" internet connection off the modem-router for anything else. Alternatively you could just run the AEBS in mixed to do it all.

3. ukmacpro macrumors member

When I signed up with Sky they sent me a modem which I plugged straight into the Airport Extreme Base Station and it works brilliantly... The Sky modem also transmitted it's own wireless network, but has an option to turn it off (which I have).

The only downside of the sky modem is that you can't use "Back to my Mac" which is a shame because I think it would be quite useful every so often.

So far (touch wood) I haven't had any problems with the Sky internet at all

4. davedodson thread starter macrumors newbie

thats great, so i can use the powerbook G4 on the SKY router and then the new (when i comes out) macbook running on 'n' from the AEBS?

what lead goes between the two routers and is there no conflict between the wifi signals?

5. beardboy macrumors regular

beardboy

You'll need a normal RJ45 patch cable to connect the 2 routers.

You need to be careful using the 5ghz frequency though, as iirc it's illegal in the UK.

I have an AEBS and haven't got the N in use for this reason - plus it's all in my room, so don't want loads of frequencies floating around!

6. ukmacpro macrumors member

I've got them connected using a Ethernet cable. There isn't any conflict with the signals, I just turned the WiFi off on the sky modem because I wasn't using it.

If you type the IP address of the sky modem into Safari (it's written on the bottom) you can log in and change loads of the settings (U/N admin P/W sky) So you can rename the Sky WiFi network to anything you want, instead of SKY12345 or something similar which is the default.

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

If you are going to have two routers you might as well have the non-g router set at 2.4 GHz and the n router at 5GHz.

As for modems, it is my experience that normal modems without routing capacity are usually better and tend to last longer. If you want a cheap b/g router that is long-lasting you should get a Linksys WRT54GL and flash it with tomato router. Hook up the linksys to the AEBS that is hooked up to the modem and you can have two networks.

8. davedodson thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so i can run a basic modem and daisy chain the 2 routers. either the sky router and my AEBS or maybe the linksys and the AEBS.

why is the AEBS 5ghz if it is illegal? why is it illegal?

i am not familiar with flashing. pretty sure you mean download the tomato software onto a memory stick but then.....?

cheers