modem help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrskullfreak, Oct 4, 2013.

1. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I have a Comcast modem with a time capsule I looking to upgrade to a better modem I have no idea what to get any help would be great.
    Also are modems other then my Comcast easy to set up?
    Thx.

2. dukeblue219 macrumors member

Can I ask what you plan to accomplish? Are you not getting the speed level you pay for? I know some people DO buy third-party cable modems but I've never really understood what that accomplishes.

3. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Not sure really I would save on paying Comcast for one and I just assumed it would be better

4. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I got tired of paying rental fees to Comcast for their modem (was a Motorola Surfboard that I paid probably $300 for renting it). Bought the same one for $50 and have no issues. I did have to call Comcast to have them activate it, but I think that wasn't that painful.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Get one that is Docsis-3. Will provide the best possible speed and more future proof.

6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

A good call there on Docsis-3. If you have a service over 3-5 years, buying a modem pays for itself easily. What is not recommended is getting one of those modems with the router built in as you do not always and in most cases have enough control over the router portion. Consider throughput for TV and Internet to be the only priority and shop for the correct router that would serve one's best interest in their home or business.

Just more peanuts from the gallery.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

It's possible that Comcast will start charging you a monthly fee for the modem, even if it is a modem you purchased yourself.

Other Cablecos have done this....

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Examples? I can't see why or how they can charge a modem fee for having your own modem. FWIW, I have TWC and am NOT charged a modem fee, and have my own modem. I'm now glad I bought a DOCSIS-3 as I'm now getting an upgraded speed (30 down, 5 up) as a result of getting a deal.

9. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

what modem do you guys suggest? Everyone seems not like like the idea of the Comcast modem/routers.

10. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

For my Time Warner service (notice the qualification there) I got a Motorola SB6141. Time Warner has a page that has a list of approved devices, maybe Comcast has the same?

Ah, quick search says they do

Even if your level of service doesn't require it, I suggest a DOCSIS3 unit, that will make it compatible with higher speeds, should they upgrade service. Time Warner had no issue activating a better modem than needed on my base-level plan, the suggestions are only the minimum requirement. Someone else can speak to Comcast's policies there...