Modem/Router Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scotchio, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Scotchio macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I've been happily using my old G4 and D-Link 300G+ modem for many years

I've just bought a new iMac and am attempting to go wireless.
    Now I can get the iMac to see the wireless router (Netgear WGR614)
    and I can connect to the internet via the D-Link Modem (wired)
    but I can't get the router and modem to talk to make the whole thing wireless
    I've even bought an apple Airport express but that can't talk to the D-Link modem either.

Is the D-Link Modem just old and incompatible with wireless routers?

Thanks for any help
    Scott

2. Scotchio thread starter macrumors newbie

3. hyddan macrumors member

well, umm.. How are you connecting everything? which cables are you using between the router and the modem?

And what wireless channel are you using? I've only got Airport to work with 11, no idea how to change it in the Airport settings.

4. Scotchio thread starter macrumors newbie

Modem to Router via standard Ethernet cable, I know the cable works as I've used it wired direct to Mac. I'm on automatic which I think is 10, but i'll try 11.

Surely if it's found the router that side is set up OK?
    S

5. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    OK, Troubleshooting 101:

0. Without regard to ANYTHING you've already done, verify you have the modem plugged into the router via the router's "WAN" or "Internet" or "Modem" or WTF-ever the mfg decided to call it port, and not one of the regular Ethernet ports.

1. Get a different Ethernet cable (preferably one that is "known good") and try it. If that works, great. If not, then...

2. Get another computer (from a friend, etc.) and try it. If that works, then obviously something's funky on your regular computer. If not, then...

3. Power off *both* your modem and your router. Leave them off for like 5 minutes. Power up the modem *first*, and once it's totally up and running, power up your wireless router *second*. If that works, great. If not, then...

4. Power everything off. Leave the modem off, but power up the wireless router while holding down the reset button on the back. Hold it down a good 10-15 seconds, or however long is specified by the mfg to do a *HARD RESET*. At that point, while it's trying to power back up, unplug it. Leave it off for a minute, then go through #3 again. If that works, great. If not, then...

5. Do a direct connect to your modem. Go to the mfg's web site and download their latest firmware for your modem. Disconnect from the modem, turn the modem *off*, leave the modem and the wireless router *DISCONNECTED*. Connect your computer to one of the regular Ethernet ports, and re-flash your router. After a successful flash, do another hard reset of it. Shut off the router. Refer back to #3, then try a wired connection *first*, and *IF AND ONLY IF* that works, try a wireless connection. If that all works, then great. Otherwise...

6. You've got a partially failed wireless router that you are not going to be able to fix. Replace it.