Modem/Router recommendations please...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by urchinboy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. urchinboy macrumors member

Money no object... (well not much of an object)

I need to set up a network between my Mac Pro (which may as well be wired gigabit ethernet as its stuck in the same room all the time with whatever modem/router I get), a desktop PC (gigabit wired in same room) and my macbook pro (wireless N). I obviously want to feed the ADSL connection to all three.

My instinct was the Airport Extreme but it annoys me that it's not a modem as well. I don't want two boxes when one will do.

I would just really like to hear about very positive or very negative experiences with any current models of 802.11n modem/routers. I'm in the UK by the way, which may make a difference to what's available (and certainly makes a difference to how much it costs).

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Netgear make a nice range. Pop along to your nearest PCWorld store and have a look.

I use a netgear modem/router and have the airport extreme connected by a short ethernet cable. This allows me to switch from one to the other.

3. urchinboy thread starter macrumors member

Is there an advantage to being able to switch between either of these? Would the netgear one not do the job on its own?

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I have the quad core Mac Pro and a Mac Mini both in my study.

It obviously is to due to the location of each computer in the study but the Mac Pro gets a more reliable signal from the Netgear router and the Mini gets a better signal from the Airport Extreme ... ;)

ps
    Yes the Netgear will do the job on it's own. Perhaps if I had have chosen a better location for the router and / or the computers, both the Mac Pro and the Mini may have received the same strength of signal.