modems damaged by attaching to Mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by katewes, Jan 6, 2014.

1. katewes macrumors 6502

A friend's iMac has been used online for years. Recently, the internet was down for a few days. The ISP's helpline proved fruitless. Then, another friend - who knows about computers - felt it was modem that was defective, so he swapped the modem. The result, allegedly, was that the replacement modem became damaged. He then tried a third modem, and even that modem became damaged too. (I am just relaying the story, so I don't have more details).

Question: is there such a situation where merely attaching a modem to an iMac can damage the modem? I've never heard of such a thing. But, if others have, does the problem lie with the iMac or even the internet line?

All other peripherals e.g. scanner, attached to the same iMac are working fine.

2. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

To me it would seem much more likely that the damage to the modem is coming from the other end of the line.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No way. The iMac meets the USB power specs below and would not put out more than that amount to a USB device.

[​IMG]

Now the iMac may not have drivers for the modem, but that would just prevent it from working properly. It would not break the modem.

4. magilla macrumors regular

Been using mine set up that way for quite a while (remote location in Montana - no cable/satellite access - landline only) and haven't had any problems. has the O.P. tried swapping out another USB port? Even though they SAY all other peripherals are working, it MAY be something inherent in a particular USB port.

5. katewes thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you clarify how you would explain that happening? Who's responsible? The ISP? The electrical wiring? We're trying to get to find a solution. If, conceivably, there is such a thing as a modem being damaged simply by being attached, they wouldn't want to attach a fourth modem, only to see it get damaged as well.

----------

It is not a specific USB port, in my estimation. That's because, in addition to the main iMac, other computers and iPads in the house all have lost internet as well. So it's an issue with either the internet and/or the modem.

6. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

It's not my area of expertise by any stretch, but I'd think it would be possible to have a short in the wall connection that was frying the modem when you connect it up. Best bet would probably be to have them send a tech out to check the line (which I'm kind of surprised they haven't done already).