Modern buckle and pickpockets

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jaymc, May 7, 2015.

1. jaymc macrumors regular

jaymc

Anyone who bought this band worried about pickpockets? I mean just a quick pinch and it'll be gone. :eek:

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yes, terrified. Completely.

3. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Nah. I had one (returned it) and it's a bit harder to remove from an unwilling wrist than a wallet is to remove from a pocket.

4. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Nope, no worries. I'd be more concerned about someone grabbing my purse.

5. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I don't own a modern buckle yet :(but I'd imagine that my Milanese loop would be a lot easier to remove.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

And I am also kept up at night in a cold sweat worrying about someone snatching my phone out of my hand while I use it in public. ;)

7. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Any "pickpocket" who is good enough to get your watch off your wrist without you noticing is too busy doing 5 shows a week in Vegas to bother with your watch.

8. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

Washington DC Metro the bad guys stand by the door and look for anyone using their iphone so when the doors are about to close they snatch it out of the hand of the user. Old trick but still, with the Apple Watch one could do the same.

9. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Moral of the story - don't keep your Watch in your pocket.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I have never worried about pick-pockets, guessing it is a large city type thing. It never even occurs to me as I am seldom in human congested situations.

11. JOSEPH99 macrumors member

JOSEPH99

It's official!!! I've heard it all!!! :)

12. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I'm more aware in larger cities. Around here in the suburbs, nobody is getting close enough to steal from me but my family members.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Agreed. I seldom go to the downtown areas. The nicer places are not in the city anymore and have few reasons to visit unless it is to see my lawyer and we conduct most of our business via the Internet now.

Close as I get to downtown is my local Ruth Chris and even they are not in the busy downtown area.

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

When I do travel into larger, urban areas, I am hyperaware of the people around me. I wear a crossbody bag, for example, and I keep my hands in my pockets or my husband and I hold hands on the side where I have my purse, for safety. I don't imagine anyone is going to be swiping my watch, no matter how easy it may seem, unless it is at gun or knife point.

15. pythagorasuk macrumors member

The Milanese loop is almost impossible to steal without you noticing. Why did you think it would be easy?

Regards

John

16. friedmud macrumors 65816

Milanese loop isn't easy at all. It doesn't come completely undone so you have to slip it over the whole hand.

Now: A Leather Loop would be a lot easier. Might be able to simply grab the watch face, yank and run....

17. Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

Well, go hang out at the Eiffel Tower or Paris metro for a week and let us know how it works out.

18. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Wrists covered. Hands in pockets.

I've never been robbed in a major city, even on the Metro.

I'm just very aware of the people around me.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Heh. Have lived in large cities all my life, taking crowded public transportation, and never been pickpocketed. I take basic precautions, of course, but don't give it much thought. It's the same as looking both ways before crossing the street. It just becomes part of your normal routine.