Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hintze

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 29, 2010
Just found out when browsing the mac app store and found modern combat and thought i recognized the title and when I clicked on it I saw that it was the ps3 exclusive title, which is not exclusive anymore. So a great shooter at a great prize only for mac and ps3:)

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
I'm having a hard time finding stuff for this game. If it's exclusive to PS3 and Mac, the Mac community must be pretty small, right? Also, a lot of the comments mention frequent crashing. It's only $12, but I wouldn't buy a game that has a small community with poor support.

Does anyone here have it?

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Step 1: Download Steam
Step 2: Buy Counter Strike Source
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Have fun and good tech support, along with one of the top 3 playerbases on Steam!

Just saying.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Step 1: Download Steam
Step 2: Buy Counter Strike Source
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Have fun and good tech support, along with one of the top 3 playerbases on Steam!

Just saying.

That. I have it on PS3 and while it is fun, it is pretty generic and I can't see it having as much replay value as CS:S.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
I have the game but can't seem to set up my ps3 controller with it properly. The O and triangle buttons just don't work when I try and configure the controller. Is there anything I need to download to make the controller work properly on the mac?

ideafix

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
Great game for the price

I have the game and I have to say I'm pretty impressed on both the price and the playability of it on a Mac. From what I've heard is pretty much the same as the PS3 Version.

Now, for a PS3 is the bare minimum game, considering the power of the PS3. But for a Mac, I'd say is pretty cool. Nice graphics, smooth movements, and quick response online.

Which reminds me: although the game is intended to be played online, you could play it offline as well. However this would be merely for practice as there is not a story mode, and points you make offline do not count towards ranking.

Now, regarding crashes:
- I have a Macbook Pro 6,2. Intel Core i5, 2.53 GHz, 4GB, with the nVidia 330M. I bought this one on October 2010, and, of course, I didn't put anything extra. Is just the way the standard model was sold.
- I have not experienced a single crash. I am all the way to rank 10, and I often have open other applications (including VMWareFusion which I'd say it uses about half processing power to my Mac). And, again, I've never had a single crash.
- What I've had is some disconnects, but I blame this on my ISP. This is reinforced from the fact that when I get disconnected, I also am unable to access google or anything else for a few minutes. So, again, I wouldn't say this is from the game (unless it somehow causes my whole internet connection to go down for a few minutes).

In summary, a lot of Pros.
The cons: Only 5 maps, and very few people online. No audio chat, no text chat.
I'd say it's a good step on seeing if you would like to get a $50 FPS in your Mac (and, apparently, if your Mac can support it).

So, for the price, it is a must.
This game should actually be shipped with every new mac.

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Really? would you be so kind to help me and enlighten me on why is that?

Every Mac sans the models with integrated graphics are much more powerful than the PS3, and have been for quite some time. The PS3 came out a good 5 or so years ago, and is stuffed with 5 year old tech.

Thats just how it works. Yes the PS3 is a capable piece of hardware but it's old and much less powerful than a lot of what you can buy on the market today.

ideafix

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2008
Every Mac sans the models with integrated graphics are much more powerful than the PS3, and have been for quite some time. The PS3 came out a good 5 or so years ago, and is stuffed with 5 year old tech.

Thats just how it works. Yes the PS3 is a capable piece of hardware but it's old and much less powerful than a lot of what you can buy on the market today.

Well, I don't want to turn this in a PS3 vs Macbook Pro thread :) That one already exists here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1060958/

I'd like to quote Blu101 from that thread, though:
"The entire PS3 is optimized for graphics and gameplay performance, whereas the MBP is a general purpose multimedia laptop. The PS3's powerful Cell CPU makes up for its outdated RSX graphics engine. This is why, even though the PS3 is ~5 years old, it still has great video game performance. Other factors include console (like a desktop) vs mobile laptop (advantage - PS3) and the fact that the 330M is a middle of the pack graphics card and not the best for gaming."

So, anyway... back to the topic:
Modern Combat: Domination is a great game to play on a Macbook Pro, with smooth rendering and cool graphics. I believe the PS3 version offers nothing new to PS3 Gamers, but is definitely a must if you like FPS and you like Macs =)

CyberOpus

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Dayton, OH
I have the game but can't seem to set up my ps3 controller with it properly. The O and triangle buttons just don't work when I try and configure the controller. Is there anything I need to download to make the controller work properly on the mac?

There's a program called USB Overdrive which is integrated into your System Preferences. It allows you to use gamepad's and easily set them up (it makes the computer think it's the keyboard). It works amazingly well.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Just got the game. Feels OK but not brilliant. I'd say its worth the asking price but not much more. Felt a bit like an iOS game ported to osx IMO. Still its OK for a little while.

master7000

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
i have a 10.6.7 MBP 13" i5. And I got this game and it's a ton of fun!!!!!
For the 30 seconds I can play it before it crashes.... Can someone help me with this.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I have read on a forum that there is a fix coming for people with integrated graphics soon. I believe this is what is causing you to have random crashes. Like i said though i read it 3rd hand on a forum and its not verified so im not sure how accurate this is.

master7000

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
It might be getting better I played 3 like 7 minute games just now. But it crashed in the middle of the fourth...

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I downloaded this game from the Mac App Store...I want to play Multiplayer, but I click on "Multiplayer" and it tells that I have no Internet connection. What? I am connected via AirPort to my AirPort Express base station and browsing and connecting just fine otherwise. Why is the game having trouble recognizing that I have an internet connection? I have no trouble playing OpenArena (Quake 3) Multiplayer over AirPort. I feel like I just wasted the $5.99 on this game. Doh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.