Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maldis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I want to begin by thanking all of you for the useful info for the past couple of years. My daughter and I both have had 2G iphones and I've used your site to unlock and jailbrake both. My daughter lost her phone in December and I bought her a 3GS from Craiglist for Christmas as a replacement. However, I'm not sure if I can jailbrake and unlock. We are on T-Mobile so we really need the unlock. I've searched the sticky's and through the forum but I just keep confusing myself.

Can her phone be unlocked and what software do I use on a PC.?
Iphone 3GS
Version 4.1
Modern Firmware- 05.14.02

Thanks!:)

Last edited:

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
You can't unlock 5.14 baseband. Currently, the only option is to install and use the hack 6.15 iPad baseband on the phone. Before roof that, you should read up on issues relating to doing that.

maldis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Thanks

Thanks for the info! You all rock!!

Last edited:

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
I hope you don't mind the warranty voiding issues involved with putting ipad baseband on an iphone and that you may lose gps functionality.

maldis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Need More Help

To answer the above- no, I don't mind losing the warranty. I bought it off of Craiglist- I don't really have a warranty. No, I don't mind about the loss of GPS function. My daughter doesn't use this function.

On my first attempt with redsn0w, it got stuck at the "exploiting with limera1n." So I restored the phone to 4.2 and tried again. Same thing- stuck at "exploiting with limera1n."

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks a bunch!!

maldis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
New Issue

Ok, following tips I found by googling I turned the firewall off and then unchecked cpu1 on redsn0w (through task manager). Redsnow was able to finish but I'm now the phone is on the activation screen (iTunes, usb cord, energency call). We are on T-mobile so I need to unlock. I can't get to Cydia to use ultrasn0w. Suggestions?

Thanks!!

maldis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Reboot

Everything is now working except I have to run redsn0w everytime I have to reboot. If I try to reboot without redsn0w it just gets stuck on the Apple screen. Any ideas?

Thanks-
Melanie

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
Everything is now working except I have to run redsn0w everytime I have to reboot. If I try to reboot without redsn0w it just gets stuck on the Apple screen. Any ideas?

Thanks-
Melanie

Did you install 4.2.1 firmware? If yes, sounds like you have a tethered JB which means you must use Redsnow to reboot the phone each time.

maldis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Update yet

Does anyone have a fix yet so that we don't have to reboot through redsn0w each time?

IMADV8

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
No. If you're on 4.2.1, you're stuck with the tethered jailbreak until an untethered jailbreak is released. Right now, it looks like that will happen for 4.3, most likely within a month or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.