Modern Firmware 5.14.02- New Problem- Help!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by maldis, Jan 7, 2011.

1. maldis, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

maldis macrumors newbie

I want to begin by thanking all of you for the useful info for the past couple of years. My daughter and I both have had 2G iphones and I've used your site to unlock and jailbrake both. My daughter lost her phone in December and I bought her a 3GS from Craiglist for Christmas as a replacement. However, I'm not sure if I can jailbrake and unlock. We are on T-Mobile so we really need the unlock. I've searched the sticky's and through the forum but I just keep confusing myself.

Can her phone be unlocked and what software do I use on a PC.?
    Iphone 3GS
    Version 4.1
    Modern Firmware- 05.14.02

Thanks!:)

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes, you can unlock that but you have to upgrade the baseband to 6.15 in order to do so.

The iPhone is on 4.1 so it will be an untethered jailbreak.

Read all about it here: www.blog.iphone-dev.org

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

You can't unlock 5.14 baseband. Currently, the only option is to install and use the hack 6.15 iPad baseband on the phone. Before roof that, you should read up on issues relating to doing that.

4. maldis, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

maldis thread starter macrumors newbie

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I hope you don't mind the warranty voiding issues involved with putting ipad baseband on an iphone and that you may lose gps functionality.

6. maldis thread starter macrumors newbie

Need More Help

To answer the above- no, I don't mind losing the warranty. I bought it off of Craiglist- I don't really have a warranty. No, I don't mind about the loss of GPS function. My daughter doesn't use this function.

On my first attempt with redsn0w, it got stuck at the "exploiting with limera1n." So I restored the phone to 4.2 and tried again. Same thing- stuck at "exploiting with limera1n."

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it?

Thanks a bunch!!

7. maldis thread starter macrumors newbie

New Issue

Ok, following tips I found by googling I turned the firewall off and then unchecked cpu1 on redsn0w (through task manager). Redsnow was able to finish but I'm now the phone is on the activation screen (iTunes, usb cord, energency call). We are on T-mobile so I need to unlock. I can't get to Cydia to use ultrasn0w. Suggestions?

Thanks!!

8. maldis thread starter macrumors newbie

Reboot

Everything is now working except I have to run redsn0w everytime I have to reboot. If I try to reboot without redsn0w it just gets stuck on the Apple screen. Any ideas?

Thanks-
    Melanie

9. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Did you install 4.2.1 firmware? If yes, sounds like you have a tethered JB which means you must use Redsnow to reboot the phone each time.

10. maldis thread starter macrumors newbie

Update yet

Does anyone have a fix yet so that we don't have to reboot through redsn0w each time?

11. IMADV8 macrumors member

No. If you're on 4.2.1, you're stuck with the tethered jailbreak until an untethered jailbreak is released. Right now, it looks like that will happen for 4.3, most likely within a month or two.