Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joewillmott

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2012
England
So I still love the iMac G4 design, but obviously they're so dated it's hard to use one as a primary work machine these days. Now I know the extreme route would be to strip every single piece out of the case and build my own computer using the G4 case, but that's really bloody extreme. Is there an easier/cheaper way to upgrade a G4 to be a semi-decent machine? The processor appears to be the biggest performance problem from what I can tell, which obviously can't be removed without further changes.

Okay so through writing this I have realised I am slightly more clueless than I thought. Just any tips, advice or feedback on my wish to get a G4-looking, modern and useable computer would be nice.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The iMac G4 is the best ever Apple design. I wish there was a return to that form factor, but with current design styles.

I imagine the new Mac Pro design with the body height shrunk down, the arm coming out the centre of the top recess, rising to an extremely thin monitor with narrow bezels.

The G4 base had a bigger footprint than the foot on current iMacs, so it would still work with the larger monitor sizes we have now.

The iMac G4 was more elegant, and far more ergonomic, than we have now. Please come back.

smithydan

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
Install a macmini, that would be awesome and deceiving. Only problem would be screen hookup and some other things but it would be cool.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
"Modern iMac G4 possible?"

Short, concise answer:
No.

Wrong.

Short concise answer: yes.
Drawn out answer, consolidated: not without a ton of technical knowledge.

Check out this 11 page discussion (via the search feature) that I've literally been following for years:
Mod G4 iMac with Intel Mac mini innards?

Significant progress is constantly made, but there is no quick fix to throw a Mini in the case and be done. Everything requires a lot of work backed by a lot of skill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.