Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I running a edgerouter X and I happy with the setup. The unit has been working in the background for years with no issues. I have two wifi access points. I am looking over my home networking and file storage setup and identifying part that may need to be addressed in the next few months and realized that if the edge router died I don't know what to replace it with. I know about the TP link ER605 but I seen a few issues with it and I don't want something where I need to run a controller on a separate box. Anyone have any ideas? But hopefully my edge router still has plenty of life in it just need a backup plan.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Anyone using the TP-Link ER605 without the add-on controller?

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I've configured the TP-Link ER605 once in a small business (along with a TP-Link Omada AP and a managed PoE switch). Will be doing another identical install in a couple weeks.

I was pleased to discover that you do NOT need a controller for any of this gear. It's entirely optional + you can configure everything thru a web interface. And generally, I was very impressed with the ER605's capability for its price. Ubiquiti is nice and all, but I'm not sure it's worth the premium compared to TP-Link unless you have very specific needs.

My customer bristled at the Ubiquiti pricing, and in retrospect, I'm very glad they did!

Reactions: dimme

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Moved from an ER-X to a UniFi Dream Machine Pro, and love it. If you like the Unify stuff, that is.
Thanks for the recommendation I have looked at the UDMP and it over kill for my setup, but yes its nice stuff.

chikorita157

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2019
Germantown, MD
I personally use the Unifi Dream Machine Pro with Unifi AP Lite and it works good and never had any issues with the setup. I also set up a Unifi Dream Machine, which is cheaper than the UDM Pro and has built-in Wifi at my parents house when the Apple Airport Extreme AC that was there since Dec 2013 started to become unstable in 2020 and had no issues. I also have a Flex HD AP installed in the kitchen to improve the reception on the first floor.

I don’t trust TP-Link because of ties with the Chinese government, which is a big no for me.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I don’t trust TP-Link because of ties with the Chinese government, which is a big no for me.
Solid call-out. I don't think I'd want this TP-Link stuff in an office that had a server on-site or had unencrypted PII going over the network. These two I've referred to though are satellite offices that just need their web browsers to work; I'm not too concerned about it in this use case.

Generally, I have enjoyed the Ubiquiti / UniFi gear I've rolled. The need for the controller with even the smallest deployment is a bit annoying though, as is its needless hand-holding through everything. I swear every time I need to change a setting, I have to go Google the real terminology to translate it to UniFi-speak. Still, it's cheaper and just as good as any of the other "enterprise" or "business" network kit I've ever encountered.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Just curious...if happy with the Edgerouter X, why not buy another for backup?

If you want change, what about the newer Synology routers...with file-sharing management built in? You would still need to manage APs, but no difference from now.
I am probably going to do that but just seeing if there is anything out there I should look at.

dpgx81

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Just curious...if happy with the Edgerouter X, why not buy another for backup?

If you want change, what about the newer Synology routers...with file-sharing management built in? You would still need to manage APs, but no difference from now.
Just switched to a Synology AX6600 - great device, great features, I absolutely love it so far. I'm going to add a WRX560 to extend range and hardwire it, but the features are great. Absolutely love the additional software packages (threat prevention, remote access, etc).

Reactions: hobowankenobi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.