Modernizing my 2008 Mac Pro for use and some gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Stonebrook, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Stonebrook macrumors newbie

I can't afford a new computer, and I have a mac pro, which I hope is upgradable.

Here are the Specs:

Mac Pro:2008

Processor Two 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeo
    Memory 4GB (4 1GB sticks)
    Graphics Gard: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
    Hard Drive 750GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB

I know I would need to buy a copy of Snow Leopard before I could upgrade to newer Operating systems. The computer is quite a bit more responsive than my mid 2010 macbook pro laptop (It has seen quite a bit more use, and the battery and graphics card seem to be going). Many games and some programs will not work without this upgrade.

So, is it feasible to upgrade this machine (hardware, software, and cost-effectively)? I'm not looking for anything amazing. I'm just looking to see if I could update it to something like a 2012+ capabilities?

If so, what would need to be replaced besides graphics card and upgrading the graphics card?

Thanks all.

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I am not 100% sure about the 3,1, but get a used HD7950 with less than $100 may let you able to play most of the modern game with medium setting in 1080p in Windows.

3. gpzjock, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

gpzjock macrumors 6502a

The CPUs are fine, only the 800 MHz RAM is slow by today's standards and ain't a damn thing you can do about it, apart from buy more.
    Upgrade to Mavericks and put a recent Nvidia PC GFX card in, to replace the 8800GT.
    A GTX760 will do fine and are still available on ebay secondhand. You can get web drivers from Nvidia to optimise the card.
    Next buy a SSD and put a Windows build on it using Bootcamp. Why Windows? OpenGL drivers in Mac OS X are out of date and poor performing compared to DirectX 11.0 drivers and you have just multiplied the number of available games by a couple of thousand.
    You will game much better and faster this way. No offense to anyone using Mac OS X, I play WoW in OS X too.