Modified Airplane Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SandboxGeneral, Oct 19, 2010.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Here is a feature I would like to see Apple provide in the future. I'd like to be able to turn off all cellular functions (data, telephone and SMS/MMS) but leave the Wi-Fi function active.

When I am in the basement of my office I cannot get a cellular signal but I have Wi-Fi set up so I can get Internet access. I don't like the iPhone constantly searching for a cellular signal and draining the battery quicker.

I don't like using Airplane Mode because it then disables the Wi-Fi when I really want it. So essentially, I want the ability to turn the iPhone into an iPod Touch when needed. (I'm not interested in JB'ing if what I want is capable that way)

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You can do this now.

If you put Airplane Mode on, you are able to switch Wi-Fi back on without the rest of Airplane Mode (Cellular Radio, Bluetooth) being cancelled.

3. SandboxGeneral thread starter Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well now don't I feel stupid! I never noticed that I could turn the Wi-Fi back on! :eek:

4. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

that was a new feature in the early days of iPhone OS because some airliners started offering in-flight wifi service.. now in a few years we won't need airplane mode any more lol