Modified dates & folders

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Juliat72, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Juliat72 macrumors newbie

I have just moved over to Mac after always using Windows and one if my biggest headaches is modified dates and folders. If I add or change an image file then the folder modified date changes accordingly but if I change a file (in my case an html file) then the folder date doesn't change.

I know in finder I can go into that folder and tell it to list the relevant files in modified order BUT because it doesn't change the folder date it is causing a nightmare for me as I manage some huge websites that are all folder structured and when making lots of changing to then FTP those changes is a real headache and long winded process as I have to remember what folders have been changed rather than the system detecting it and listing in folder date in my FTP program.

Is there any way of getting the folder dates to change when a file within it is modified?

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Two suggestions: First start using a source code control package such as git. Secondly, use rsync to do your file transfers - it will only transfer things which have changed. You will need ssh access to your server to use rsync.

3. Juliat72 thread starter macrumors newbie

So is there no way to get the actual system to recognise file changes rather than using lots of extra programs to do what should be a simple thing? I use one program for html editing and FTP and that should be enough really

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I am not aware of any way to modify the behavior of the file system.

The 2 programs I suggested are already on your system. If this is just a personal web site and you don't care about history, you can even skip the git program. rsync is very similar to ftp, but is more powerful and like I said, you already have it.

If you are unwilling to change your process, then I cannot help you.

5. Juliat72 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, thanks for your reply. Really wish I hadn't swapped from Windows now :(

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I got curious about this and did a test. I had a folder which had a test "C" program in it. I touched the c source code file so it's modified data changed, but the enclosing folder did not change. So, I recompiled the program which created a new executable. This time, both he executable and the enclosing folder changed their modified date. So, I did some searching and found an explanation on the apple support communities which made sense:

This tells me that the compiler/linker is probably deleting the original file and recreating it with the same name. So if you want to keep your same process, a work-around could be to move the edited file to another name, then rename it back o the original - or some other way to delete and recreate the file.

BTW, are you using the command-line FTP, or something like a combination of finder and cyberduck? If it is the latter, you can use spotlight to search for files by modified date.

7. Juliat72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again, I have read that and while yes I suppose it does make sense it is still annoying LOL

I use Dreamweaver to edit the html files and then either the inbuilt FTP client with it or FileZilla which lists the files by modified dates once you are in the folder but doesn't list the folders by the correct dates hence why this is so frustrating as there are lots of folders within one site...

8. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

IIRC you can drag from finder to filezilla, so you could still use the spotlight option.