"Modified" new iPad (aka iPad 3) release date?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hkfan24, Sep 22, 2012.

1. hkfan24 macrumors regular

Anyone have any forecast info of when they plan on releasing the modified iPad 3? I read that the the main modification is the lightning cable. My wife and i just got iPhone 5s and of course those come with the lightning cables. I'd like as much as possible, to just transition all my cables to lightning since this is where Apple products are headed? Anyone know if this is possibly getting released this year? I've read reports before that this is scheduled to release soon.

2. number84 macrumors 6502

Personally, I can't see them releasing a mid-year refresh for the iPad 3...especially just to change the port. It made sense to include it into the iPhone 5 to allow them to make the device thinner (amongst other improvements in screen tech, etc).

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

4. hkfan24 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it!

5. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Agreed, they'll wait until the 4. There's just to much involved in retooling the manufacturing to just change the port.

6. blackbelter, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

blackbelter macrumors member

If ever there will be a revision of the new ipad, it will not be only about the connector. That would be silly. There are tons of problems with the new ipad, especially given the usual aim of apple to make their devices thinner and lighter each generation.

When the new ipad was released, the A6 chip and the screen technology, apparently, were not ready. They had to live with A5X, which is somewhat adequate, but not sufficiently advanced as compared to the A5 in ipad 2, especially given that the screen resolution was quadrupled. The retina screen is the primary reason for the larger form factor as well as the excessive heat and longer charging time. A new screen could solve all these problems.

If there will be a revision to the full-sized ipad, it will be about all the problems above mentioned. I personally believe it is sooner rather than later. Much sooner than March.

7. ijha macrumors regular

ijha

totally makes sense!