modify files in /var or /private/var or both?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by autofree, Oct 29, 2010.

1. autofree macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am using iPhoneBrowser to make some mods. I noticed that there is a /var folder and a /private/var folder. Both locations appear to have contain the same files. So which one do I make modifications to? Why are there 2 instances of the /var folder?

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

/var is a symbolic link (shourtcut/alias) to /private/var. Thus, they are the same folder.

3. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Just like in any OS you have many ways to get to the same file. Still the same file.

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

You know maybe you should take some lessons in unix/os x file systems before you completely screw up your phone.

5. autofree thread starter macrumors newbie

I knew it'd be a silly question.

I'm not an expert with unix but do know the basics. I only wanted to go in and change stuff like fonts/icons. I'm not about to change any of the system files. I just didn't know why the /var folder showed up twice. Now I do. Thanks.

6. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

You know, maybe you should just keep your non-helpful opinion to yourself. How about that?

The OP had a simple question and it deserved a simple answer. He didn't ask for your opinion. I'm sorry...I didn't realize every person that jailbreaks and wants to modify their phone had to be a code junkie or computer whiz. My bad.

WTF is up with this forum lately? Why does it seem like every time a person asks a question, there has to be someone snarky like you show up to give their .02 (which most of the time DOESN'T answer the original question and adds to the discussion in no way).

I'm sorry if the forum isn't made up of nothing but people that have had the iPhone since it's inception and know everything there is to know about it. Boy, that would make for a wonderful place to discuss ideas, huh? "Well, we already know everything there is to know...what should we talk about now?"

Maybe you should just move on the next time you feel the need to inject your opinion into a discussion where it clearly has no place.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I assume he has a backup. You can't really screw it up, just waste some of your time. Seriously, how else is he suppose to learn?