Modify Front Row sub-menus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacMoose, Jul 15, 2007.

1. MacMoose macrumors newbie

Hey I am trying to take my "movie" menu under the movie icon and either break it up by adding sub folders to be called "home movies" "shorts" "feature films" etc. as opposed to all of my movies showing up under the movie menu.

Does this make sense? I have sercehed the web over and have only come across changing the Icons in Front row, but nothing about modifing the menu.

Any help would be most welcomed!

Thanks!

2. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Well, you can always store them in different directories. It's not really a solution, but it should do the trick.

3. MacMoose thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I should have mentioned that I went to the itunes music folder, found the movie folder, and then created sub folders in there called shorts, etc. and moved the movies into their repsective folders, but front row didn't update like I thought it would. It seems to just check all the folders in itunes/movies and pulls them out. lame....

Any other ideas, or was this not what you were talking about?

-Thanks

4. MacMoose thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE:

So for those that don't know (like I did) Front Row points to TWO locations for movies. When you open iTunes you have a "movie" folder along with "music" "TV shows". etc. Anything that lives in that folder, i.e any movie file you have in iTunes, Front Row grabs.

It also grabs any movies that live in your Finder/Movies. When you open up your Mac HD on the left side of the window are icons such as "home folder" "music" etc. There is also a movies folder. Anything that lives in that is pulled into Front Row as well. BUT.....Front Row will see any structure that you have set up in your movie folder here. So i set up Movie\Home Videos\*movie name*, and I also set up Movie\Features\*film name*, by doing this When I open Front Row and click on VIDEOS then click on Movies it will show me 2 more sub folders called Home videos and Features. PERFECT!!!!

The sucky part is that since it also sees your iTunes Movies it throws everything in there along with the 2 sub folders. I deleted the movies from itunes and that left me with seeing only my sub folders in Front Row and everything nice a neat. BUT I can't sync up movies to my iphone or ipod now since there is nothing in itunes.....lame. (also even if I point itunes to see the movies over in the finder/moive folder it will still throw all those movies into the itunes/movie tab (it wont copy them to itunes) but Front Row pulls the same movies twice now...lamer

Hope that helps people, and if there is anything I am missing to or I overlooked to acheive the desired results of having a clean Front Row Movie section along with being able to sync to my iphone/ipod let me know!

Thanks!

5. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Well, I suppose that a really (too?) clever thing to do (which I, for one, can't do) is to create those subfolders in Documents/Movies (the one that shows in the Finder panel) and then write a script of some sort that would somehow populate those subfolders correctly with symbolic links to files in the iTunes/Movies folder.

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I think what the OP is saying is that if he has movies in the Itunes/Movies folder, iTunes pulls them and lists them all directly under Movies in Front Row. Even if you put them into separated folders like itunes/Movies/Action, itunes/Movies/Drama, it will pull them from there, and still list ALL movies under Movies in Front Row.

You may have to get into the coding of Front Row to fix this unfortunately. Not sure how else to do it. Really, Front Row is just a pretty face for iTunes and Quicktime.