modify G4 MDD for 24/7 operation

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dustboy, May 7, 2010.

1. dustboy macrumors member

I have an old 867 Mhz G4 MDD that I would like to be able to leave running 24/7 as a server, jukebox etc. Right now it's noisy (these things are legendarily loud) and power hungry. It won't have to work very hard. What could I do to make it efficient and quiet enough to run 24/7, without dumping a lot of $$$?

Obviously what I really need is a mac mini, but this will have to do.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

My 2003 1.25ghz SP MDD is quieter than my 2005 Compaq desktop. =\

I assume replacing the large fan would help a lot, though most of the sound from mine are actually the hard drives!

Just get a same-size fan that uses two-wires (like the one you have now) that advertises a low db output. Same voltage, same size, quieter operation.

3. dustboy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I unplugged the big fan momentarily, and that was a good source of the noise, and most of the rest comes from the power supply box--two little fans just buzzing away in there..

where is a good source for these fans? or could I cheaply replace the PS with something quiet and more efficient?

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I don't recommend touching the PSU. You blow it and suddenly you're in $100 of trouble.

All of the fans in the Mac are pretty standard, so as long as you match the size and voltage, everything is good. Just make sure it advertises low db (decibels).

I'm sure a regular like Spinnerlys will show up with links to the 1337est online sources.

5. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Fan advice G4 MDD

I have experimented quiet a lot with different fans for the G4 MDD. For 120mm case fan, the best noise/cooling ratio is without a doubt the SilentX fan. I have tried more versions, make sure you use the 120 x 25 with 14 dba model, the one with 18 dba is not really necessary.

As of the the psu, the fan option is really bad because of the air flow that is necessary. There a no fans available that are more quiet because of the necessary air flow. Your only real good option is a Verax FAn upgrade for the PSU, however they are most likely sold out.

6. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

7. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Try this one:

http://www.pcsilent.de/en_pg_Apple-...ems-G4-Quicksilver-fan-sets-low-noise_69.html