Modify how delete key works

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mcsolas, Mar 11, 2013.

1. mcsolas macrumors regular

I want change how the keyboard works but am unsure how to go about it. When you hit the delete key, it removes the character before it. If you hit fn+delete it deletes the next character. if you hit command-delete nothing happens.

I would like to make it so that command-delete deletes the next character just like fn-delete does. How can I do this?

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Command-delete does different things in different applications. You'll have conflicts if you make a change like this.

3. mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

I see... I guess then I would only be concerned with altering this behavior when the cursor is active / editing text. My goal is to have an easier delete button to hit that didn't require a 2 hands to hit. If I could with the command key, at least thats on one side of the keyboard.

What about shift-delete? I just tried it and it seemed to do the same as if you just hit the delete key solo. maybe thats the place I can mod it.

4. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

It deletes the whole line up to the cursor.
    Option-Delete deletes one word in front of the cursor.

May I ask why you intend to remap Fn+delete? Also, you can just hold Shift and mark the portion you'd like to delete with the arrow keys.

5. mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure if this is accurate.. I tried hitting shift delete and its not deleting the line, it works the same as if you hit just the delete key.
    Yes, you can do use the arrow key, but again it gets back to my original intention - I want to be able to do this in one key press with one hand. As is the only fn key on my keyboard ( Logitech k811 ) is on the far side of the keyboard. its just a workflow thing, I use this form of delete about 50% of the time when editing web content and source code.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Not Shift+Delete, but Command+Delete removes the whole line.

7. mcsolas thread starter macrumors regular

Ah.. I didn't see which keyboard shortcut you referenced in your quote when I replied. I didnt realize you were talking about a different one. I am only focused on the function of what the shift-delete key does right now, which as is, doesn't appear to modify the delete function in any way.

I would like to do one of two things: Remap the function of the Fn-delete key to this ( I would prefer this setup ) or if possible, make it so that the Fn key is unchanged and shift-delete does the same thing, that would be even better.