Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KheeseKake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Hi there,

I've been wondering if anyone might know of a way to modify the image of the iPod that appears in iTunes when I plug my iPod Mini in. The reason why I'm asking about this is because I've recently been doing a bit of "modding" and ended up replacing it's old scratched blue casing with a green one which was in better condition from an old green iPod Mini which was no longer working. So now whenever I plug in my "green" iPod Mini, the image that appears in iTunes is of course still blue... obviously because iTunes recognizes the circuit board as being from a blue one and also can't physically see what I've plugged in.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know :D

KheeseKake

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Keep in mind: The following is speculation based on a smidgen of research, and probably won't help you much.

I've looked in the iTunes folder, and I don't see any image files. It's likely that the images are stored, in compressed format, within either the iTunes executable or in a DLL (or its Mac equivalent; I'm still on Windoze, sorry to say).

Even so, if you were able to reverse-engineer that portion of the code and thus make the image editable, any edits done to the Blue Mini picture would probably show up for all Blue Minis that attach to that computer from that point on.

KheeseKake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2007
Keep in mind: The following is speculation based on a smidgen of research, and probably won't help you much.

I've looked in the iTunes folder, and I don't see any image files. It's likely that the images are stored, in compressed format, within either the iTunes executable or in a DLL (or its Mac equivalent; I'm still on Windoze, sorry to say).

Even so, if you were able to reverse-engineer that portion of the code and thus make the image editable, any edits done to the Blue Mini picture would probably show up for all Blue Minis that attach to that computer from that point on.

Thanks for your reply. I realize that by changing this image it may mean that all other blue iPod minis will appear green, but that doesn't bother me. I guess being able to change it just for that specific iPod only would be a bonus ;)

However I took a look at the package contents of iTunes.app and didn't seem to be able to see any sort of images that were related. I also plugged in one of my iPods to see if I could find the image stored somewhere on it's harddrive but the only thing I found was the actual device icon. So I'm beginning to think you might be right... it may be stored in some sort of compressed file which wouldn't easily be editable.

If anyone else has an ideas, please let me know :D Otherwise I think I'll just give up on the idea.... I just thought it may have been something that would be pretty simple to change...

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
iTunes is a pretty old-school Carbon app. It's resources are stored all munged together in binary resource files. There are tools out there to let you open and edit these...

CJin2552

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
My guess is that on iTunes' massive server, all it takes is your iPod's serial number. The images are most likely saved on the server and maybe certain Serial Numbers bring up certain Images. This is just my guess considering I've read all of these replies and no one has been able to find the .img files, one way to find out would be installing iTunes 6 on a computer and seeing if the iPhone/iTouch appeared, because at that point in time, the iPhone/iTouch's were not out. :apple:

surfmak

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
I've found the solution: images of all devices are stored into iTunes.rsrc (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/itunes.rsrc)...i've changed my iPhone 4 32Gb black into a white one (png 4484). To open *.rsrc i've used theme park 3.1. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.